Windows 10 and WSUS on Windows 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have read forum postings and new articles about Windows 10 that have stated that WSUS 3.x servers will not be able to handle Windows 10 upgrades, but will still be able to do Security updates for Windows 10.

The only fix that I have seen is to build a Windows 2012 or higher server running WSUS 4.0. I did see a mention that Microsoft was possible going to do something for us Windows 2008 R2 folks so we can continue to provide support to new Windows 10 machines. Has anything been discussed or released on a timeframe (if any)?

I know Windows 10 is going to use a different updating scheme then previous Windows versions, and I'm still fuzzy on how Enterprises are going to be able to change control using the new scheme since it appears that deferred updates would be forced after some time.

The answer is probably out there somewhere, but my search skills must not be up to the challenge :)

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I did see a mention that Microsoft was possible going to do something for us Windows 2008 R2 folks so we can continue to provide support to new Windows 10 machines. Has anything been discussed or released on a timeframe (if any)?

Unfortunately, I can't find any official document about that.

From my point of view, building a new WSUS server on Windows Server 2012 R2 is a easier way to deploy 1511 upgrade.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, January 11, 2016 4:44 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 4:00 PM