none
Sharepoint FAST Search Result Set Navigation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am using scope search and every time I try to navigate past 180 results no matter what I set for maximum number of results on a page, I get the error "The search request was unable to execute on FAST Search Server." on the browser and on event viewer "Processing fault: Search timeout in scope search before filling resultset (13)". I haven't been able to find any settings that could be helpful. Has anyone else seen this? Thanks.

Monday, March 14, 2011 2:57 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately there are no documentation of this bug.

It seems like your scope expression may trigger the bug, due to the way URLs are evaluated in queries, and because you have a wildcard in the expression.

If you rewrite your scope expression to the following, it should probably solve the issue, as you avoid the wildcard evaluation:

path:starts-with("http://www.company.ca/program_home")

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hi!

You are getting this error message because the number of results required to show more than 180 with your scope applied, is probably 4020 results in total. This number is an internally set limited, which unfortunately cannot be changed be changed in a supported way because it involves altering a file which in not part of this list:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff354943.aspx

In case you want to verify that this is the real cause, you can edit the file %fastsearch%\etc\config_data\RTSearch\webcluster\fdispatch.addon, adding a line like this:

maxoffset = 1000000

But beware that this is UNTESTED an breaks your support, therefore not recommended in a production environment!

Best regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice

FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint - Survival Guide | FAST Search for SharePoint Forum

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice
    Monday, March 14, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Thanks for the response Thomas. However, actually not, in my scenario the total result count is 365.

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:03 PM
  • What is the scope you use and what is your query?
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Search:
    It doesn't really matter, I've tried several with the same outcome as long as they have over 180 results.

For example, with just a regular keyword query not using anything on the refinement panel, query 1) works and query 2) generates the error message.
    1) http://spfast/fastsearch/Pages/results.aspx?k=whatever&start1=151
    2) http://spfast/fastsearch/Pages/results.aspx?k=whatever&start1=201

Scope:

I've also tested it for more than one scope and see the same issue. They use wildcard rules as follows:

path = www.sitename.com/course_*

Thanks

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Note that if I remove the scope from the location on the results web part the problem goes away so it seems like the problem is restricted to search with scope.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:34 PM
  • There is a known bug related to this issue. It may occur if you have a somewhat complex query including proximity operators (near/onear) and you request hits beyond 200. Due to that, I would like to know what query you use, and what type of scope you use. The bug is not directly related to the use of search scopes, but the search scope will add to the resulting query complexity.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Would you have any links to documentation about that bug?

query by keyword: company

Filter: and(path:"www.company.ca/program_home_*")

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Unfortunately there are no documentation of this bug.

It seems like your scope expression may trigger the bug, due to the way URLs are evaluated in queries, and because you have a wildcard in the expression.

If you rewrite your scope expression to the following, it should probably solve the issue, as you avoid the wildcard evaluation:

path:starts-with("http://www.company.ca/program_home")

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Thank you, you were right. I wish this bug was documented somewhere and hope it is going to get fixed in the future.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Hi,

What is the workaround for this issue?

Regards,

Ken

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:52 AM
  • The workaround is to rewrite the scope as indicated. It will give the same effect.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Hi,

I am having the following errors in my FAST ESP environment which might be related to this. (sorry for asking this in the wrong forum).

1. fnet: Connection: read error: 10053"

2. "Search timeout in scope search while filling resultset"

I noticed that this happens when a search is performed either using composite field or scope field and the results are uncached, meaning first time the search was performed for the given keyword/s.

For example, search using the keyword "results". The first time search takes about 5-10 seconds but subsequent search using the same keyword results in optimal performance, around 0.6 > and < 1.5 sec.

Thanks,

Ken
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:44 AM
  • I suggest you re-post the question in the ESP forum, and add more details on what types of faetures you use and type of queries. In ESP, there can be other reasons as well for this type of timeout, as the feature set is different.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

Posted on ESP forum.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/fastlegacy/thread/06ec0c72-a194-4ee5-83b2-305f481d4720

Thanks,

Ken

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:12 AM
  • Hi Knut Brandrud,

I am experience same issue with SharePoint OOTB Core Results web part for some keywords (search engine is FAST). I am able to browse till 970 records (page 97), but when I click on 98th page, I get 'The search request was unable to execute on FAST Search Server'. For some keywords with same refiners I am able to browse till 10000 records!!!

The query term used : Cancer

Some refiner: Content Source=Clinical Trials

URL:

https://MySharePointApp/Pages/results.aspx?k=cancer%20&r=contentsource%3D%22ARIBQ2xpbmljYWxUcmlhbHMuZ292DWNvbnRlbnRzb3VyY2UBAV4BJA%3D%3D%22&start1=971

ULS Logs suggest:

=======================================================================================

SearchServiceApplicationProxy::Execute--Error occured: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationFault]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason. (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationFault). a457c272-e1c7-4ca7-85c3-1c4bbbbf5648
    03/07/2012 22:43:30.76  w3wp.exe (0x176C)                        0x1CF8 SharePoint Foundation          Monitoring                     b4ly High     Leaving Monitored Scope (FASTSearchRuntime::GetQueryResult). Execution Time=213.604522362479 a457c272-e1c7-4ca7-85c3-1c4bbbbf5648
    03/07/2012 22:43:30.76  w3wp.exe (0x176C)                        0x1CF8 SharePoint Server Search       Query                          g4hz Monitorable FASTSearchRuntime::SendRequest--FAST Search Query Exception when trying to search FAST backend: Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.FASTSearchQueryException: The search request was unable to execute on FAST Search Server. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationFault]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason. (Fault Detail is equal to Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationFault).     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationProxy.ThrowBackwardCompatibleException(FaultException`1 ex)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationProxy.DoSpLoadBalancedUriWsOp[T](WebServ... a457c272-e1c7-4ca7-85c3-1c4bbbbf5648
    03/07/2012 22:43:30.76* w3wp.exe (0x176C)                        0x1CF8 SharePoint Server Search       Query                          g4hz Monitorable ...iceBackedOperation`1 webServiceCall, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds, Int32 wcfTimeoutInMilliseconds, String operationName)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationProxy.DoWebServiceBackedOperation[T](String operationName, Int32 timeoutInMilliseconds, Int32 wcfTimeoutInMilliseconds, WebServiceBackedOperation`1 webServiceCall)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplicationProxy.Execute(QueryProperties properties)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.Query.Execute()     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.FASTSearchRuntime.GetQueryResult(String query)     at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.FASTSearchRuntime.SendRequest(String query) a457c272-e1c7-4ca7-85c3-1c4bbbbf5648

=======================================================================================

SSK

Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:44 AM