Outlook 2016: Quicksteps: Move/Copy to folder: Does NOT list Calendar, Contacts, Tasks (non-eMail) folders. RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook 2016: Quicksteps: Move/Copy to folder: Does NOT list Calendar, Contacts, Tasks (non-eMail) folders.

When creating a "Quickstep" action I want to create a calendar event or task from an email.  If I choose the "Create an Appointment with Text of Message" or "Create a Task with Text of Message" the appointment or task is placed into the current mailbox Calendar or Task folder but not into the "Default" Calendar or Task folder.  In the case of my IMAP account, then, it saves to the "Calendar (This Computer Only)" or "Tasks (This Computer Only)" folder.  (In the case of an offline PST data file, it says that it can't find a Calendar or Tasks folder.)

So instead of saving there, I would like to copy the email to a different folder (the Calendar or Tasks folder of my choice); however, when selecting Copy or Move to a different folder (while creating a Quickstep), I am not shown any of the non-email folders !!  So I am stuck having to save the task or event to the local folder, and then move it to my actual Calendar or Tasks folder.

This behavior is confusing/odd since I CAN select a non-email folder when I do this outside of "Quicksteps."  That is, if I select an email and right-click and select Move, then I can select any folder, including a Calendar or Task folder, and then create the event or task that way.  Just not in quicksteps.

I hope that full folder viewing can be implemented in Quicksteps as this would save a lot of time, which I think is what the feature is intended to do...

Office Pro Plus 2016: v1711 (Build 8730.2127)

Windows 10 Pro (version 1709)

Thanks,

Todd

Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Todd,

>>This behavior is confusing/odd since I CAN select a non-email folder when I do this outside of "Quicksteps."  That is, if I select an email and right-click and select Move, then I can select any folder, including a Calendar or Task folder, and then create the event or task that way.  Just not in quicksteps.

Thank you for the feedback, however, this is the expected behavior. We cannot just move an email item to calendar or task folder as they are different folder types. 

As a workaround to the issue you are encountering, you may consider to drag the email message to the Calendar icon in the navigation pane to create a new appointment in the default calendar. Or, you can try to right-click and drag to the Calendar icon to see all of the options available: Copy as appointment with text, as attachment, Move as text, or Move as attachment.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Steve Fan Monday, January 8, 2018 2:47 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, January 8, 2018 9:34 AM
    Monday, January 8, 2018 2:47 AM
  • Hi Todd,

How is everything going? Is the workaround viable in your environment?

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:08 AM