Post Installation Tasks of WSUS fail RRS feed

• Question

• After a nightmare of trying to install and uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 on my DC, WSUS broke. 

I edited the registry to get rid of the SQL Server stuff and uninstalled WSUS and rebooted. 

I reinstalled WSUS using WID database and now I get the following error at the end of the log file during post-installation:

016-05-18 12:09:28  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to set service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID to automatic start
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.StartAndConfigWidService()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    Fatal Error: Failed to set service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID to automatic start

Susan E. Russel

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Susie,

What is the error message after adding the NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICE into User right assignment?

Is the fatal error same with that in the original post?

And do you get any other information with this issue?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Susie2229 Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:32 PM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi Susie,

Have you got any process with the issue?

Have you tried if using a working external database could work?

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Susie,

>Fatal Error: Failed to set service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID to automatic start

According to the fatal error, please check if NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES is assigned to Log on as a service Properties.

If not, please add it and launch post-installation again. And check if any GPO overwrite the setting.

For more information, you may refer to this article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/2832204

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:58 AM
  • Neither suggestion helped.

Susan E. Russel

Thursday, May 19, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Hi Susie,

What is the error message after adding the NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICE into User right assignment?

Is the fatal error same with that in the original post?

And do you get any other information with this issue?

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, May 23, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Same error:

2016-05-24 14:10:31  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to set service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID to automatic start
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.StartAndConfigWidService()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.ConfigureDB.Configure()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)
    Fatal Error: Failed to set service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID to automatic start

The service does not even show up in services.msc and there is no WSUS in IIS.

Susan E. Russel

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Hi Susie,

Have you got any process with the issue?

Have you tried if using a working external database could work?

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, June 2, 2016 2:59 AM
  • No luck.  I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled and still same problem.

Susan E. Russel

Sunday, June 5, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Your solution worked but I had to then uninstall WSUS and WID, reboot and reinstall.

Susan E. Russel

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 2:32 PM