Problems installing KB968930 - PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0. Keep getting Error Code 800F0900 RRS feed

• Question

• I try to install this recent update but it keeps failing on the install but then keeps asking me to install. What's the deal??

Here's the error info, how are we supposed to install this silly catch 22 update?

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 bit.  This is the only update that actually continues to fail.

Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows Vista (KB968930)

Installation date: ?28/?02/?2011 12:49 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 800F0900

Update type: Recommended

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:59 PM

Answers

• (f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x800F0900    servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB969897_ie8~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.1.2.mum        Line 1: INDX(

Unavailable repair files:
        servicing\packages\Package_for_KB969897_ie8~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.1.2.mum
        servicing\packages\Package_for_KB969897_ie8~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.1.2.cat

those 2 files are damaged and that's why you get the error. Both files are part of the Update KB969897 - MS09-019: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer

Do you have a second PC where you can get the files?

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hi,

As there are many files to be replaced, I suggest In-Place Upgrade once:

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, March 18, 2011 7:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you get this error:

800F0900 = CBS_E_XML_PARSER_FAILURE = unexpected internal XML parser error.

to see the cause of Windows Vista update failures, we must look for error messages in the file CBS.log.

Please run the Windows Explorer and go to the folder "C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\" and copy all files to your document folder, also copy the setupapi.dev.log from the folder C:\Windows\Inf and the file "C:\Windows\winsxs\poqexec.log " to your document folder (otherwise you can't upload it), zip all files into 1 ZIP and upload the zip to your SkyDrive [1] and post a link here.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:16 PM
  • Ok. I put the file "800F0900_error.zip" into the new Skydrive folder I created at this link:

http://cid-b1183f30b5d9d649.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Mike%5E4s%20files?nl=1&uc=1

Let me know if you got to it successfully.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 5:36 PM
  • (f)    CBS MUM Corrupt    0x800F0900    servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB969897_ie8~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.1.2.mum        Line 1: INDX(

servicing\packages\Package_for_KB969897_ie8~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.1.2.mum
        servicing\packages\Package_for_KB969897_ie8~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~8.0.1.2.cat

those 2 files are damaged and that's why you get the error. Both files are part of the Update KB969897 - MS09-019: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer

Do you have a second PC where you can get the files?

André

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Dear André,

I have exactly the same problem with the Installation of "Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows Vista (KB968930)" and I got the same error message "800F0900".

I'm new at this forum but I hope you can even have a look into my files that you have described for a possible solution.

I posted the files here:

http://cid-d4bd5d3a6b609819.office.live.com/self.aspx/%c3%96ffentlich/updatefehler.zip

best regards

Peter

Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:29 AM
  • Dear André,

I have exactly the same problem with the Installation of "Windows PowerShell 2.0 and WinRM 2.0 for Windows Vista (KB968930)" and I got the same error message "800F0900".

I'm new at this forum but I hope you can even have a look into my files that you have described for a possible solution.

I posted the files here:

http://cid-d4bd5d3a6b609819.office.live.com/self.aspx/%c3%96ffentlich/updatefehler.zip

best regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

please start a new topic to avoid confusions.

André

Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:26 PM
  • I only have vista on this PC. Isn't it the update that downloaded these files? If so, why would they be corrupt? If not, where can I get new copies?
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Having the same problems, KB968930, failed install, error 800F0900, vista 32bits.

Any chance it could be the same files? If it so, the error should dissapear if I roll to IE9 as this security update for IE8 wont be needed anymore correct?

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following artical for detailed steps to resovle the issue:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619779(WS.10).aspx

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:10 AM
  • thanks, but looks like I opened a can of other problems

looking at the logs I found the culprit:

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs
    (f) CBS MUM Corrupt 0x800F0900 servicing\Packages\Package_for_KB972036~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.2.0.mum  Line 1: ‹

servicing\packages\Package_for_KB972036~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.2.0.mum
     servicing\packages\Package_for_KB972036~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.2.0.cat

-----

I downloaded KB972036 for a reinstall and it refused "the update does not apply to your system", I extracted the contests of the package and could not find the files I wanted.

Windows6.0-KB972036-v2-x86

I went to program and resources to remove the old update and force a new installation but it seens not to be keeping track of any of this. There are only 3 windows updates there for a near 3 old vista install updated every week, even office 2007 has more entries in that list.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:24 PM
  • use expand.exe to extract the cab file. and replace the damaged mum/cats.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:59 PM
  • these files aren't in the cab file.

maybe one of the files from the cab pack gets renamed in the file I want during the update process, but there are near 50 files similary named, so I can't pinpoint which one should be.

• Edited by metallizer Wednesday, March 16, 2011 6:19 PM typo
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 5:43 PM
  • run an InPlace Upgrade to repair Windows:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Wednesday, March 16, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

As there are many files to be replaced, I suggest In-Place Upgrade once:

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs usually will not be removed but we may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming. Your patience is highly appreciated.

As to the steps of In-Place Upgrade, I still would like to explain that it will reinstall all system files with this method. You may need to reinstall some applications to upgrade some files to a higher version, because they may be replaced during the installation of Windows. It will take about two hours to repair. Your personal files and settings will be kept as they were after the installation. However, it is always recommended to backup the important information and files to other partitions or other disks before doing it.

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Regards,

Friday, March 18, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Here is my temporally solution:

Right click, hide update, confirm.

I don't use any of these applications this update wants to install, powershell 2.0 or windows remote management.

And just to make this more confusing this update was succefully installed in the middle of 2010. Both powershell 2.0 and windows remote management are 100% operational.

Reinstall vista is not good solution in my view, it's the exact thing I'm trying to avoid doing by asking for assistence in this message board.

• Proposed as answer by metallizer Monday, March 21, 2011 6:43 PM
    Monday, March 21, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Reinstall vista is not good solution in my view, it's the exact thing I'm trying to avoid doing by asking for assistence in this message board.
    With the Inplace upgrade, all applications are still working. You can use them after the upgrade is finished.

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:15 PM
  • I have the same problem 800F0900 with KB968930 since February on a Vista 32 system. I'm leaning towards solving it by hiding the update like metallizer proposed. Why?

1. This KB968930 is described as an older update (2009) which was once optional and all of a sudden appeared as recommended?!

2. The suggested method of an Inplace upgrade needs the original Vista disk. I do not have this as my HP notebook came preinstalled with Vista. On top of that, the Inplace upgrade would be a time consuming operation. My system is running fine as is.

When I first encountered this problem, I could not find any similar experiences. A few weeks later it seems more people are affected.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:20 AM