none
MDT 2010 - Can't install OS on disk 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are running MDT 2010 SP1 at one of our customers, and having problems with Windows 7 installation on a specific model (Lenovo T440). The model comes with two disks:

Disk 0 (SSD) - 14GB
    Disk 1 (HD) - 465GB

Our normal task sequence works fine if a machine only has one disk.

I want my OS to be installed on disk 1 and disk 0 empty formatted.

In my task sequence under "New Computer only" I have made two new format steps with a WMI query so it only runs if the machine is a Lenovo T440.

SSD

HD:

And a new step when installing OS with the same WMI query where disk 1 and partition 1 is selected.

But the task sequence install the OS on the SSD Disk (Disk 0) and fails.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    FC

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 1:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

Under my deployment share in the folder \Control\TS_NAME there is a unattend.xml with the following:

<InstallTo>
    <DiskID>0</DiskID>
    <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
    </InstallTo>

Is that why the OS always tries to install on Disk0 regardsless of what I tell it to do in Install Operating System step in my my Task Sequence?

Regards,

FC

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:59 PM
  • Can you post your task sequence steps as well? 

When imaging a machine with two hard drives, I generally remove the drive thats not going to install windows which would make this process a lot easier. In addition, your unattend only sees one drive which is disk 0....

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:32 PM
  • Hi Keith

In my current situation I only have one specific model that comes with a different disk layout, so I don't think I have to do a WMI query for which disk I want to install the operating system on. For this machine model it should always be installed on Disk 1.

In my task sequence I already 3 steps that only runs on this model. (based on a WMI query - I query the Win32_ComputerSystem for Model). 2 steps that format and partitions the disks. (Screenshot in my first post) and a step for installing the operating system:

All steps runs, but the OS still installs on Disk 0. And when I look ind c:\MININT\unattened.xml while the "Install Operating System T440 step runs I see the following:

<InstallTo>
    <DiskID>0</DiskID>
    <PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
    </InstallTo>

Could I just set the OSDDiskIndex in my Task Sequence? If yes, where should I put it?

Regards,
    FC

Thursday, February 27, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Hi

I never got this to work the "right way". My workaorund was:

- Diskpart script to format and partitioning my two drives and change drive letters.

- Script to handle drivers, so there were placed on Disk 1 instead of Disk 0.

- Script to change DiskID in unanttended.xml before OS installation.

I can live with this for now. We will soon upgrade to MDT 2013.

Regards,
    FC

Saturday, March 8, 2014 6:45 PM