locked
WSS 3.0 windows logins fail in IE from a single computer, FF/Safari/Chrome are OK, other client computers are ok RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a user who until recently has been able to access a wss 3.0 site with IE.  Recently he has started to get credential pop-ups and after attempting to login gets a 401.1 error.

    1. This is only happening in IE on his machine.  
    2. He can login with his credentials using FF or Chrome from his machine
    3. He can login to other SP sites, from IE on his machine
    4. He can login with IE from other machines
    5. Other user logins from his IE also fail

    We have tried clearing his cache, checking for saved passwords in account settings, re-installing IE. 

    This appears to be an issue with his specific machine trying to connect to this specific instance of Sharepoint.  Any thoughts or other places to check?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan

    Monday, August 4, 2014 2:36 PM

Answers

  • So trying (again)

    "reset the IE settings again (in Security Tab click reset all zones to default level, in Advanced Tab
    reset) and check if we can pass the authentication. "

    This worked for us!

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:53 PM

All replies

  • is the site in the INTRANET zone (*not* the trusted sites zone)?

    Have you tried using fiddler (or something similar) to see what's actually happening?


    Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

    Monday, August 4, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Hi Scott,

    Thanks for the reply. I believe we have tried it in both.   I have not tried with fiddler, I'm not sure how the authentication is logged, I'll also try that today.

    Whats interesting to me is that even after being prompted we are being denied. 

    I'll follow up in a couple hours.

    -Jonathan

    Monday, August 4, 2014 6:00 PM
  • Scott,

    I tried to simplify the test, by browsing to a single image used in the layouts.

    Out of a bunch of attempts most failed with a 401.1, however one  attempt worked.

    What should I be looking for in the fiddler logs?

    On the sharepoint server in the event log, under security I see failures like below.   However this is the same username and password that work on other browsers...

    ***************

    Logon Failure:
      Reason:  Unknown user name or bad password
      User Name: [my user name]
      Domain:  [the correct domain]
      Logon Type: 3
      Logon Process: NtLmSsp
      Authentication Package: NTLM

    ****************

    Monday, August 4, 2014 8:27 PM
  • So trying (again)

    "reset the IE settings again (in Security Tab click reset all zones to default level, in Advanced Tab
    reset) and check if we can pass the authentication. "

    This worked for us!

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:53 PM