none
IE11 partially crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I’m running an older website for Internet Explorer, using VBScript and an ActiveX object (RAPI, C++) developed by our team. Since IE11 does not support VBScript we use the emulate tag, <add name="X-UA-Compatible" value="IE=EmulateIE9" />,  in the config file. We also use iFrames (not displaying cross domain web pages).

This setup works fine in IE 8, 9, 10 but not in IE11. The problem is that after our ActiveX component has displayed a modal dialogue IE crashes. It’s not closed down or restarted but it gets these symptoms:

1. Drop down lists doesn't expand. They are populated  and you can scroll all values using the arrow keys but it will not expand.
    2. You cannot start Developer Tools after this point. (F12)
    3. You cannot open internet settings.
    4. View source is opened in notepad instead of the built in viewer.
    5. You cannot leave the website by typing www microsoft com (or any other address) in the address field. You can still go to other pages in our own site but not leave our site.

After this crash it’s still possible to use our web site with full functionality, except for the drop down lists. The symptoms in the list above remains as long as the tab is open.

Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks
    Andreas

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:29 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Did this start happening after installing Windows updates?

yes - uninstall KB3008923

no - can you post back with any errors for IE from Start>Event Viewer, or if possible a link to your website.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, December 11, 2014 12:16 AM
  • Hi Rob!

I have seen this problem for a couple of months so it's not a new issue for us. We only support IE8-IE10 now but we will have to start supporting IE11 during Q1 2015 (my guess).

I could not find KB3008923 being installed on my computer.

I did not find any errors in Event Viewer --> Application or in Event Viewer --> Applications and Services Log --> Internet Explorer. I deleted all logs and made IE crash again. No logs were created.

Sorry, but I cannot give you access to the site. It would not be possible for you to recreate the problem since you need a PDA running Windows Mobile with a certain software installed. (The PDA must also be connected through Windows Mobile Device Center)

Have you seen these symptoms in IE11 before?

Thanks!
    Andreas

Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Hi, Andreas,

Have you tried to open the website with Compatibility Mode in IE 11? If not, please have a try.

Also you can try to enable Enterprise mode for test to fix this problem.

If you were not familar with Enterprise mode, Please refer to the contents of the link below for more details;

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/04/02/stay-up-to-date-with-enterprise-mode-for-internet-explorer-11.aspx

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

try

Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, check "Always record developer console messages",

uncheck "Disable script debugging other"

Save changes...

open a blank tab in IE (about:blank), then

f12>Debug tab, select "Break on all exceptions", then

go back to the blank tab and navigate to your intranet site.

dismiss any exceptions in the debug tab of f12, that are trivial and allow the site to load...

select the console tab to display any xss or blocked resource warnings.

select the emulation tab and check that your site has loaded with IE9 emulation... (it will tell you how the emulation was established, expected x-ua meta tag)

(possibly the workstation that you are testing on may have "display intranet sites in compatibility view" checked and the site first displays in IE7 emulation, or another mode if enterprise mode is deployed).

also check that it is mapped to the expected IE Security zone (File>Properties menu). expected intranet. Ensure that the Allow scripting of ActiveX controls is allowed in that zone.... (for a test you may like to turn on 'prompt' on the Security zone options.)

mmm....(I'm not sure about this)... you should be able to locate vbscript block that calls your AX methods and place a break point on it.

back in the browser invoke the AX method call (by clicking a button?)

f12>Debug tab should break, at which stage you can step through the client script, up to the point of the method call.

BUT probably the best way to debug the issue is from Visual Studio.

(the client method above should display a message asking you if you want to debug any byte code errors using Visual studio)

Rob^_^

Thursday, December 11, 2014 11:33 PM
  • Hi Roger!

It's the same behavior in Compatibility mode.

I added our QA URL in the Enterprise mode site list but I did not notice any difference in behavior.

Have you ever heard of the IE11 symptoms that I described in my original post?

BR Andreas

Friday, December 12, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Hi Rob!

Thanks for helping me!

I followed you instructions and debugged the web page in both the debug tab (F12) and in VS2012. It was the same result. It stopped in some less important locations in the code but during the ActiveX modal dialog call no exceptions occurred. 

The funny thing is that we have two WTL modal dialog windows displayed in two different scenarios. They are not completely the same since they use different kind of GUI controls (progress bar in one and a listbox with checkboxes in the other). The first dialog works fine and is not causing any strange behavior in IE but the second one is.

/ Andreas

Friday, December 12, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi, Andreas,

According to the above analysis, I doubt this problem is more relate with the website developing code. You can try to post this thread to IE development forum, its engineer could be provide more useful suggestion with this problem.

Contact IE devepoment Forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?category=iedevelopment

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 15, 2014 2:46 AM