Backing up AD LDS with DPM

•  I'd like to know the correct way up back up AD LDS with DPM 2012 SP1

I have seen other posts about missing files and have seen this myself with DPM and AD LDS. AD LDS is installed on the E:\ drive on Windows 2008 R2 server.

Seeing this post about ADAM from a few years ago

I removed the following keys.

Value name: ADAM (<instance_name>) Writer

Value Data: <path_to_adamntds.dit>

Now I can see DPM is backing up the files, however I don't see a VSS freeze event 2001 or 1917 The shadow copy backup for Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services was successful. I only see this when using Windows Backup. 

Is there any guidance for backing up AD LDS with DPM?

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi

You need to protect the instance install directory which is by default %program files%\Microsoft ADAM\instance_name\data

Afterwards, if you want to recover, stop the AD LDS instance service, restore the files to the original location and start the service again.

Friday, August 08, 2014 4:59 AM
  • This does not work.  I have checked the box to backup the AD LDS (ADAM) folder structure, but DPM 2012 R2 does not back it up.  It gets all the files in the data folder except the adamntds.DIT file and the EDB.log file.  There is a registry key called FilesNotToBackup that contains these filenames, and when I try to delete it, it always reappears when the service is restarted.  Not sure if DPM is reading this reg key or not.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 5:53 PM