Trying to install .msi via PowerShell but only Operational parameter box opens up RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am putting together a script that will install an application (.msi) but every time I run the command line the only thing that happens is the Optional Parameter box pops up and the install never happens. I even rebooted the test computer and looked for some activity in the event viewer but nothing. Also, fyi - I used to "Start-Process" command becasue from my understanding it will let the script finish that first process (installing the e-rmsclientsetupx64.msi) before it moves on to the next command in the script (how that will be constructed is explained below).

This will be part one of a scripted software install. Another thing to point out is, when this software installs, it creates a folder called "C:\Program Files (x86)\Edibar\ERMS Client" and on this folder I need to give the current user full control of the folder because I software will write to that location so they much have full control to that folder. Anyway, I'll cross that bridge once I get this piece figured out. 

Phil Balderos

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I think your msi file path's space may cause the error. Please try to add quote to your file path.

'/i "D:\MySharedSoftware\Software\By Project\Edibar Systems\ERMS Client\e-rmsclientsetupx64.msi" /quite'

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I think your msi file path's space may cause the error. Please try to add quote to your file path.

'/i "D:\MySharedSoftware\Software\By Project\Edibar Systems\ERMS Client\e-rmsclientsetupx64.msi" /quite'

Best regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Thanks! 

I fixed the quotes issues as suggested and now although I used the "quiet option" the script runs but it prompts me with the install wizard. 

Phil Balderos

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:42 PM
  • Thanks jrv! My bad...

Perhaps you could assist with this part of the script (actually got it from one of your contributions, link below).

When I go to run this script in ISE it re displays the full script in the bottom window of the ISE. BUT it does apply the username to the folder's security tab but the only permission that applies is the "special permission" and not full control. What could I be missing here? 

# build a rule
    $permission = "wolfpack\jdoe", "Modify", "Allow"
    $ace = new-object system.security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule $permission
    # select a folder ACL
    $directory = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Edibar\ERMS Client"
    $acl=get-acl $directory
    # Add the new rile
    $acl.AddAccessRule($ace)
    # set the rul on the folder
    set-acl -aclobject $acl -Path $directory

This is where I got it from: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/a6be838e-a778-4afa-8b16-b03fdabb6491/ps-acl-error?forum=ITCG

Phil Balderos

Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:55 PM
  • There is likely already an ACL for that user.  The link you posted clearly states the causes of failure.

"Modify" permission IS NOT "Full Control",  It will not create a new ACE that says "Full Control".

new-object system.security.AccessControl.FileSystemAccessRule('wolfpack\jdoe', 'FullControl', 'Allow')

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, May 23, 2019 7:05 PM