none
Bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• Dear, I have a USB flash, had a password but automatically opened on my laptop, which is stolen. I bought a new PC, asks to provide the password of this flash which I don't remember. I have the USB key ID 09B4E38D but asks me to provide the 48 digits recovery key, where and how to fix this problem, i..e unlock the flash. Thanks
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you use a USB flash drive as a startup key to decrypt the BitLocker, but the USB is stolen

Please check if you have saved the recovery key other place or print the recovery information.

If no, I am sorry for that there is no any other method to help you to decrypt the BitLocker. You need to format your drive to reinstall your Windows.

Or if your PC join the domain, please try to contact your domain administrator for help. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Vera Hu Friday, April 13, 2018 7:10 AM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 2:20 AM
  • I figure, you have an encrypted usb drive which was set to auto-unlock on the stolen pc and now, it's unaccessible, since you did not keep the recovery key in a safe place? If so, the data is lost.

Please remember where you put the recovery key - windows makes it madatory to print it or save it somewhere on a different drive.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:48 AM
  • Vera, this is about "the password of this flash", not of the laptop. So format the drive to reinstall Windows does not apply and should not be proposed as answer.
    Friday, April 13, 2018 7:30 AM