none
% complete depends on cost resource accrue?? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have a "visit place" task and 2 cost resources: "airplane ticket" and "hotel".

    If, for both the resources, I choose "prorated" in the accrue field, I can type different values of "% complete" and the cost of the 2 resources vary accordingly. Es: airplane ticket $100 and hotel $50, if the task is 50% complete, I have an effective cost of 50+25=$75 and the same amount as the remaining cost.

    But, if I choose "Start" as the accrue of the airplane ticket (since I have to buy it at the beginning of my visit), when I type some % complete that % field changes as soon as I click OK. In this case, it overwrites itself with a value that is the (rounded) half of the one inserted: if I type 98%, it shows 49%. If I also modify the accrue type of the "hotel" resource (making it End, since I pay the bill when I leave), the % complete updates in a manner that it can only be 0% or 100%.

    WHY?

    Thank you very much for your help,

    regards,

    Nino

    Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:26 PM

All replies

  • Firstly, what version of Project and what service pack?

    There have been issues when cost resources are mixed with work resources. I added the 2 cost resources as you described and the actual costs accrued correctly: any progress and total flight cost accrued, hotel only accrued at 100%

    However after entering a % complete, whilst the costs did update correctly, the percent complete value reset itself as you described. (Project 2010 SP1) I'll pass this on to Microsoft for you.


    Rod Gill

    The one and only Project VBA Book

    Rod Gill Project Management

    Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:20 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi, I use Project 2010 14.0.6023.1000 (32 bit) without any SP installed.

    In my examples, cost accrued correctly everytime, but the percent complete never. I never mixed different types of resources (work and cost ones) but instead I mixed different accrue methods. When all resources are prorated all works fine; each resource with an accrue different from prorated introduces an "error".

    I just tried and assigned 3 cost resources: 1 prorated, 1 Start and 1 End. If I type 99%, the cost updates correctly but the % quickly become 33%!

    I don't know if it's my only opinion, but Projects seems to me to be much buggy than other M$ products...

    Regards,

    Nino

    Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:16 PM