Help! Exchange 2010 reinstall, what are my options? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having issues with Exchange Management Tools.  I can't really do anything without these tools. [see discussion here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/28db0245-ff05-4f00-920b-327c47b90778/ ]

I introduced the Exchange 2010 server into an existing SBS2003 domain.  I successfully moved the legacy mailboxes to 2010.  Everything was working great until ESM stopped working.  I'm thinking I have to either rebuild exchange from scratch, or attempt a repair/recover/reinstall or whatever you want to call it.

What are my options?

- Since the mailboxes are are 2010 now, I can't move them back to 2003 without ESM.

- If uninstall all the exchange roles, will that delete the information store?

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:00 PM

Answers

• Setup /m:RecoverServer restores the Exchange server configuration data from Active Directory, copies the Exchange files to the server, and sets default settings when alternate settings are not found in Active Directory. It does not restore customized settings that were stored on the server or end-user data stored in the Exchange databases on the server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124257(EXCHG.80).aspx Mailbox Server Data what you should take care of and help you to understand what all you need to fix after recovering server.

The mailbox and public folder databases on a Mailbox server. If the public folders on the server are all replicated on another server, you could create a new empty public folder database and backfill it from other replicas.

Best Rgds, Ashish | Unified Comunication | MCTS | MCITP | Please remember to select option "Propose As Answer" if solution work for you | My posts hold no assurances, no promises, and they measured no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Evan Liu Friday, January 14, 2011 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by FrostyFire Friday, January 14, 2011 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:07 AM

All replies

• If i am not wrong you are saying EMC got stop on exchange 2010, however what about PowerShell - can you access exchange related information there. Please check if all services are running or not.

Please take file level backup of exchange databases, you can map them later if you are think to reinstall exchange 2010 box. Stop Information Store then copy them. successful stop of service will bring database to consistent state.

please explain more about the issue, so i can do little more research. what all things are stop working, since when and how?

Best Rgds, Ashish | Unified Comunication | MCTS | MCITP | Please remember to select option "Propose As Answer" if solution work for you | My posts hold no assurances, no promises, and they measured no rights.
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Exchange Management PowerShell also does not work.  From the EMC or EMS I get "Initialization failed" Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client cannot process the request."

So now I:

- Stop information store, copy the databases.  

- Remove all Exchange Roles

- run setup.com /m:recoverserve

Is that the correct order? 

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:42 PM
  • To answer your question, I've exhausted ALL options for getting EMC/EMS working, as outlined in this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/28db0245-ff05-4f00-920b-327c47b90778/ .  I've spent 20+ hours trying to get that working alone, it's a lost cause.  I need to look passed that and figure out a game plan.

I will attempt to do the reinstallation and then reconnect the backed up information store.  Do I only need to backup this folder? C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox

Thanks.

Monday, January 10, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Setup /m:RecoverServer restores the Exchange server configuration data from Active Directory, copies the Exchange files to the server, and sets default settings when alternate settings are not found in Active Directory. It does not restore customized settings that were stored on the server or end-user data stored in the Exchange databases on the server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124257(EXCHG.80).aspx Mailbox Server Data what you should take care of and help you to understand what all you need to fix after recovering server.

The mailbox and public folder databases on a Mailbox server. If the public folders on the server are all replicated on another server, you could create a new empty public folder database and backfill it from other replicas.

• Proposed as answer by Evan Liu Friday, January 14, 2011 6:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by FrostyFire Friday, January 14, 2011 6:37 AM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:07 AM