NLB Cluster Fails When Adding Second Host RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add a second CAS server to a Windows NLB Cluster.  The cluster works fine with just the one host, but as soon as I add the second I lose connectivity to the entire cluster.  NLB says that both hosts are successfully converged.  What could be causing the problem?
    Friday, November 18, 2011 3:23 AM

Answers

• Got it working.  Turns out the original host was at affinity level 2 and I added the second host as affinity level 3 which caused the issue.  Once I added the second host as affinity setting 1 I was able to contact the array. 
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

are you getting any error ? connectivity lose mean, you cant use VIP and Virtual address?

Thank you.

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:47 AM
  • As soon as I add the second node to NLB I can no longer ping the cluster IP address.  Removing the second host resumes cluster operation. 

There are no errors in the event logs. 

Friday, November 18, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Both nodes are running on ESX 4 hosts. 
    Friday, November 18, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

How is the issue now?

Have you tried to delete the NLB from the current node and then create it from the second one?

What is the subnet of those two node? Please check the network settings from those two node.

Please have a look at the article below to create NLB and CAS array.

Configuring Client Access Array for Exchange 2010 – Walkthrough

http://howtoexchange.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/configuring-client-access-array-for-exchange-2010-walkthrough/

Xiu

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:42 AM
  • Since the cluster is in production I haven't been able to delete the cluster and re-add it on the second host. 
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Got it working.  Turns out the original host was at affinity level 2 and I added the second host as affinity level 3 which caused the issue.  Once I added the second host as affinity setting 1 I was able to contact the array. 
    Friday, November 25, 2011 4:32 PM