Stage 3 100% then removes Service Pack RRS feed

• Question

• Stage 3 completes 100%, then this message appears (translated from French):
    "The service Pack has not been installed. Cancelling modifications".

Have tried with a Network Update, with a full download update, then once again with a network update: still the same error on the same stage. And of course no way to remove these 2 previous updates which are needed for installing this SP1.

The update log mentions an error code 80004005, without further detail.

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:23 PM

All replies

• I had the same exact problem and when clicking on the failed install msg for Vista RC1 in Windows Update the error displayed in 80041026.

Msg:

Stage 3 completes 100%, then this message appears:
    "Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer."

After system finished reverting, I was back to original Windows Vista without the SP1 RC.

I tried to install a couple times and got the same error each time.

Here is the info from the Windows Update display:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate 1 - Build 6001.17052 (x86)

Installation date: ‎12/‎13/‎2007 2:44 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80041026

Update type: Important

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Beta is an update to Windows Vista that addresses key feedback from our customers. Windows Vista SP1 Beta addresses specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware and adds support for several emerging standards.  After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

And if you click on the Get Help link, you get the following:

24 results for WindowsUpdate_80041026 WindowsUpdate_dt000

At this point I have no idea how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Could you zip up the logs found in %WINDIR%\logs\cbs and email them to sp1forum@microsoft.com along with a link to this post?
    Friday, December 14, 2007 12:58 AM
  • I would if I could. But before reading your post I re-installed the original operating system on that computer and those logs are gone. I will retry SP1 RC after I get the system totally restored. I suspect an earlier trial with OneCare and a messy uninstall had left the system with problems, hence the fresh Windows install.

Friday, December 14, 2007 1:03 PM
  • OK, I will do so.

regards

Jean-Marc

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:07 PM
  • I'm having the same problem but my error code is Error Code 80041315.  Would you like to see a copy of my logs as well?  I cannot seem to overcome this error at this point.  Works just great until the very end.?

rene

Friday, December 14, 2007 5:51 PM
  • For the 80041315 issue, can you run wercon

Run wercon.exe.

Click the "See problems to check" link on the left.

A list of problems should appear.  Look for any coming from "Task Scheduler"

Click on the corresponding "View details..." link.

Click on "View a temporary copy of these files" in the next window.

An Explorer window should pop up with some files in it.

Zip up those files and email to vistasp1logs@hotmail.com

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:19 PM
  • Thanks.  I ran Wercon.exe and I will email you those logs.

Friday, December 14, 2007 10:34 PM
  • For the 80041315 issue

Can you run "sc query schedule" from a command prompt, paste the output here, reboot, and try the installation again?

Friday, December 14, 2007 11:54 PM
  •  

here is the output fromt the 'sc query schedule'

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\rene>sc query schedule

SERVICE_NAME: schedule
            TYPE               : 20  WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
            STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                    (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, ACCEPTS_SHUTDOWN)
            WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
            SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
            CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
            WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

thanks for the help.

will try to reinstall again later in the day.

Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:40 PM
  • Tried installing the SP1 RC once more and now I have the 'Windows Vista (TM) Evaluation Copy. Build 6000' message.  The install went again until Stage 3 100% then just removed the Service Pack.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 3:01 AM
  • I removed most of my last programs installed and tried twice a local install of SP1 with still the same problem. The last attempt was with the automatic update, and then it seems to have succeeded! I have no message telling me it failed and I can see the message at the right bottom of the screen.

How can I be sure that SP1 installation succeeded ?

Regards

Jean-Marc

Sunday, December 16, 2007 5:57 PM
  • The SP1 update is still proposed by Windows update, so SP1 seems no to be installed even if I had no message telling me it failed. Installation ran as I was elsewhere so I did not see messages during installation.

Sunday, December 16, 2007 6:03 PM
  • I to am having the same problem with the install failing. with the same error code 800004005. To make things worse, it reverts my OEM vista installation into an evaluation.

I will include the logs and submit them, but I was hoping there would be some work around. This is something I wouldn't have expected to come about in a Release Candidate.

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:46 AM
  •  

I'm having the same exact issue, but with Error Code 0x8004401E.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 4:03 PM
  •  Lotacus wrote:

I to am having the same problem with the install failing. with the same error code 800004005. To make things worse, it reverts my OEM vista installation into an evaluation.

I will include the logs and submit them, but I was hoping there would be some work around. This is something I wouldn't have expected to come about in a Release Candidate.

I don't think that sp1 forum email address works. There are other error codes similar to the one I am getting, regarding other programs, and those ones have to do with activation. I'm going to try installing it in safe mode.

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:33 PM
  • Installing in safe mode won't work.  I can virtually guarantee that you will get an error of some sort doing that and the installation will roll back Smile

Can you use vistasp1logs@hotmail.com?

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

Did anyone fix this problem?  I have the original poster's error:

"Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer."

In Problem Reports and Solutions, I get three Windows Modules Installer errors - CbsPackageServicingFailure, status 80070005.

The first time it happened, it reverted back to eval mode, so I did a system restore to just before.  Then it installed another update, so I thought I'd give the SP another go.  Same error, but now it correctly reverts the changes.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:20 PM
  • No, the problem is still there.

Regards

Jean-Marc

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Hello All,

I am in a similar situation.  My installation of SP1 RC1 fails after going to 100% in stage 3 and then goes to the originally mentioned "Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn off your computer."

In my windows update log I have the following error message:

2007-12-18 15:56:51:692-0500    1    182    101    {CD2040EE-6100-4C6C-BDF4-6925050B8643}    101    80004005    AutomaticUpdates    Failure    Content Install    Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80004005: Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate 1 - Build 6001.17052 (x86).

Anyone have any clues yet??

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 6:32 AM
  • Same problem here on an english Vista Ulitmate Error code is 80070005. And I think (not sure) that there was also a BSOD after Stage 2 100% but after reboot it continued with stage 3....

I tried it again and it again reverterts after 100% of stage 3 (but now without BSOD at stage 2).

Friday, January 4, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Got the same problem and also got answer from MS via Connect site that the only workaround is to format and reinstall Vista and SP1.
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 12:01 PM
  • I finally stopped plyaing with this SP1 RC. I reverted in the initial state with a backup utility. Il will wait for the final SP1 to be available before I try it again.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 3:28 PM
  • I have the same problem too, and that's a scary thought that I would have to reformat and re-install both. The original SP1 worked fine for me, but the Refresh is giving me problems with the 80004005 error code.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:47 AM
  • If you are getting 80040005, especially if it's just on the RC Refresh and the RC installed fine, then there is a known issue we recently discovered, and hopefully will have a fix posted early next week.  Until then, please be patient, there is nothing you can do that will fix this.

If you are getting any other error code, the fix we have probably won't make a difference.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 4:49 AM
  • Thanks John. The original RC installed flawlessly, so the issue with the Refresh seems to be my situation, so I'll wait for the fix. Will it be posted here or as an official MS patch through Windows Update?

On a side note, I know there aren't a whole lot of bug fixes in the Refresh SP1 RC, but one bug in particular I am curious about is the USB issue that made previously ReadyBoost enabled USB drives fail the ReadyBoost speed test. Has that been resolved in the Refresh?
    Monday, January 21, 2008 7:09 PM
    • Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh is time-limited software.
      Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh will no longer operate after June 30, 2008 and should be uninstalled prior to that date. After installation your desktop will show the text “Evaluation Copy”. This does not mean that your system is no longer genuine but that you have installed a test version of software which is time-limited. The “Evaluation Copy” text will appear on your desktop after the second reboot after installing the service pack. Likewise, the “Evaluation Copy” text will remain on your desktop during the first reboot after uninstall the service pack, but will disappear after the next reboot.
    I copied and pasted this from microsoft site to ease your mind on the 'evaluation copy' issue.  (have just begun researching the sp1 release candidate issue, trying to see if I want to jump the gun, or wait!

Hope this helps someone!
    Monday, January 21, 2008 9:01 PM
  • Thanks for th acknowledgment that there is an issue and that a fix is progress.  It would likely help folks if you posted this as a sticky entry.  Can you provide any more insight on what the problem is?

In any case, thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:46 AM
  • Thanks for the update, I'll look forward to the update to the Refresh since the failed Refresh update left my computer in a bad state. IIS no longer runs (crashes when loading ASP pages) and my laptop now locks up whenever it resumes from sleep.  I have been looking forward to SP1 for a long time ago because Vista has been such a horrible experience with constant crashes, lock ups and program incompatibilities. 

I hope it comes soon because going back to XP is looking really enticing right now. As a developer, I really want to be developing and testing on Vista, but it is so painful and unproductive that I am ready to give up. I shouldn't have to run XP in a VPC just to get my work done
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 7:22 PM
  • Seems like I have the problem with the 80040005. It went fine with the RC1, but I found the the same problems like the others with the refresh.

Will there be a possibililityto get the fix you are writing about? I heard there is a refresh 2 since today but not available to everyone.

Thanks!

Friday, January 25, 2008 11:09 PM
  • Get the 80004005 too.

I had installed the beta of SP1 in early november and because I got no update since that(windows update didn´t found anything), I thought I maybe should update to the RC.

So I uninstalled the beta, ran Windows update a few times, to get the updates I missed since november. After that I was looking for SP1RC1, which was not found by Windows Update.

Dowloaded the full installer pack for 5 languages(german user), which loaded around a minute after starting and than, well nothing else happend.

Tried the multi-language-pack aswell, same problem.

Then I dound the refresh of SP1 RC1. I installed the 2 or 3 small updates and after installing the refresh I got the same phase 3 problem like other users in this thread.

Hoping for a soon fix, because my notebooks runtime in batterymode decreased by over an half hour, since SP1 Beta is uninstalled.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:30 PM
  •  Jean-Marc DURO wrote:
    Stage 3 completes 100%, then this message appears (translated from French):
    "The service Pack has not been installed. Cancelling modifications".

Have tried with a Network Update, with a full download update, then once again with a network update: still the same error on the same stage. And of course no way to remove these 2 previous updates which are needed for installing this SP1.

The update log mentions an error code 80004005, without further detail.

Jean-Marc, I had a similar (or exact) experience - everything was going along just fine and at the very last minute, phase 3, 100%, the SP1 would revert.

The advice I was given was to remove (uninstall) my firewall and anti virus program.  Rather than uninstall them, I simply disabled them.  That was the solution to my problem.  If you haven't tried this, it's worth a shot ... and it makes sense.  That very last step - phase 3, 100%, probably makes changes to the registry and changes important system files - any good anti virus program would find that a threat.

(By the way,my firewall \ anti virus program is McAfee Security Center 7.0 and that program made no mention of its efforts to 'protect' me.) 

Just passing this on.  If this works, you can thank duckusa - he was the guy who passed on that tip to me.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:16 PM
  • Thank you Dave,

I can't remember as this happened a month ago, but I think I removed my antivirus software (Clamwin) but I didn't disable the firewall.

Anyway, I just have to wait a couple of weeks before to get the final SP1 if what I read on the Web is exact (SP1 final coming out on Februar 15th). So I will wait a little because I would have to remvoe this SP1 RC2 before to install the final one.

Regards

Jean-Marc
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 5:04 PM
  • this is eactly my problem - microsoft doesn't even know what the problem is and I've tried all suggested solutions including installing in safe mode. Tried to install 7 times now and about to give up.....  Any ideas

Saturday, May 3, 2008 2:44 PM
  • I just tried installing the sp1 on my vista and after step 3 100% my computer hangs and I have to reset it, then it remioves sp1.

So this version is the final release and still no solution??

Bad sp1, baaad!!!!!

Sunday, May 4, 2008 3:28 AM
  • I had the same thing happen with the SP1 RC and just very recently the final SP1.  _Each_ time when I disabled my McAfee Firewall \ AV program, the installation went flawlessly.

This thread is three pages long, if this was already mentioned, my apologies; if not, try disabling your firewall \ AV program and report back. 

Sunday, May 4, 2008 9:03 AM
  • Turning of the antivirus worked for me. I have Kaspersky Internet Security, disabled all protection, then started the update. It installed without problem. Afterwards, when I enabled the antivirus, I started surfing the web and it warned me that iexplorer and svchost has changed and that it may be an update or a virus. So I guess it wasn't letting SP1 make this changes. I hope. I am currently allowing kaspersky to let them run.

Monday, May 5, 2008 4:29 AM
  •  Tk Junkmail wrote:

I had the same exact problem and when clicking on the failed install msg for Vista RC1 in Windows Update the error displayed in 80041026.

Msg:

Stage 3 completes 100%, then this message appears:

After system finished reverting, I was back to original Windows Vista without the SP1 RC.

I tried to install a couple times and got the same error each time.

Here is the info from the Windows Update display:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Release Candidate 1 - Build 6001.17052 (x86)

Installation date: ‎12/‎13/‎2007 2:44 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80041026

Update type: Important

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) Beta is an update to Windows Vista that addresses key feedback from our customers. Windows Vista SP1 Beta addresses specific reliability and performance issues, supports new types of hardware and adds support for several emerging standards.  After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

And if you click on the Get Help link, you get the following:

24 results for WindowsUpdate_80041026 WindowsUpdate_dt000

At this point I have no idea how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:38 AM
  • i try to install windows live installer, but can't to get throw, after that i go to windows update, they mention i have windows update error 80244022.

Please let me know how can i solve it.

Thanks a lot...

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:32 PM