none
Windows 8.1 first log in is very slow RRS feed

• Question

• I'm seeing an issue where the first time a domain account logs into a system running Windows 8.1, it takes a very long time (up to 15 minutes) to go through the "Setting things up for you" and "Installing apps" screen. 

Has anyone else been having this issue?

I've tried disabling the first run animation, but it didn't make too much of a difference.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi

Yes it does that, also if you have GPO's applied then they will also pull through to the new machine.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 19, 2014 7:56 AM
  • Can confirm.  It's slow.  At least it's only the first boot that's slow.
    Friday, September 19, 2014 4:22 PM
  • I'm a bit curious about the remove-appxprovisioned package trick outlined in this post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/30d9cd8b-3bb2-43bd-b979-f0dc27677998/slow-initial-login-large-profiles

Is the problem with slow apps the initialization of each Store App installed on the machine?!?!

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:10 AM
  • Keith, the problem does appear to be the initialization of each Store App installed on the machine.

It appears to be trying to update them when it boots up as well. 

I'm going to try the removeappxprovisioned package trick and will let you know how it goes.

Monday, September 22, 2014 2:52 PM
  • If I recall correctly, the removeappxprovisioned package trick works to remove the apps, but they end up re-installing themselves at later logons. Either way, app removal isn't really a solution for me. 

Here's what I'm seeing in my environment...

1. Build 8.1 image
    2. Sysprep and capture (copyprofile set)
    3. Deploy via MDT
    4. Log in as a new user
    5. Windows takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to actually log in (System logs shows tons of built-in modern apps being downloaded and updated, as well as a random 9 minute gap of no logs)
    6. All subsequent logons for any user (new profiles or old profiles) are quick and painless

Seems to me that Windows Update is taking a very long time to update the built-in modern apps (which I have no need for). However, I can't seem to find a way to turn this off or do the updates prior to capture. Removing the apps isn't ideal. We have users that need them.

Any thoughts?

• Edited by Benjaroo Monday, September 22, 2014 3:07 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 3:07 PM
  • True, however from what you mention above, the delay comes from downloading and updating the windows apps that are not up to date.  You could: a) remove the apps so that you don't need to worry about the updating delta.  or b) if a local user downloads an app locally, then they can keep the app up to date, and any other user who logs on won't need to download the app over again.

Just because users need them, doesn't mean you need to load them into the image. The Windows Start page supports deep linking, so clicking on an app that is not yet installed, will direct the OS to dynamically download and install.

Monday, September 22, 2014 4:46 PM
  • So you're saying I should just remove the apps altogether (via which method?) and they'll still show up as hard links in the all programs list of modern UI?

I also noticed that during the "preparing windows screen" at that first logon you can ctrl-alt-del and hit escape, revealing the desktop right away. Why would this not show by default? Is there any way to make that the normal behavior? Same is true for the MDT deployment progress. It doesn't show it until the completion screen. Seems odd.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Edited by Benjaroo Monday, September 22, 2014 8:55 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 8:53 PM
  • Sorry, I went out and performed my own test on removal of Windows 8 Store apps, and they had no noticeable increase in the speed of the first logon, in fact they were the same. 3 minutes 30 seconds on a test Virtual Machine.

I wonder if there is any know how in the VDI space how to speed up first boot for custom images.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 6:38 PM
  • I know this is an old post, but figured I would check to see if you found any resolutions.
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:03 PM