Unable to delete files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I'm new to this forum so if this question has been asked before I appologize.

I have two files on my Vista Business computer that I have created and own that I cannot delete. I have tried using the CMD in admin mode and turning off the UAC. Nothing works!

What happens is that when I press delete the dialog for calculating the remaining time comes up and the dialog freezes.

Both files are .btx files for WhiteBoard Software v.6.0... if that's any help. My guess is that these files somehow has become corrupted so my question is how do I remove them?

Regards

Jununger

Monday, June 16, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Jununger

Sorry your having such a tough time with this.

Go to the following website and read the description of a small utility called Unlocker. I have tested this utility extensively and it works very well for some very contrary files.

UNLOCKER 1.8.7 BY CEDRICK COLLOMB:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Install the program and it will place a menu item in the right click context menu called 'Unlocker'. Read how to use it on that web page.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:29 AM

All replies

• Jununger

Try booting to Safe Mode and deleting them from there.

Restart the computer.

As soon as the the system starts to initialize, press and hold the F8 Key until a black screen menu appears.

Use the Arrow keys to select Safe Mode.

Be patient, it will take a few miniutes to start.

Login with an Administrator account.

As soon as the Desktop appears, go to where the files are located, right click each file and select Delete from the menu.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, June 16, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Starting in Safe Mode and login in as Admin didn't do the trick either. The file is still there!

http://www.iboards.se/strul/c1.jpg

http://www.iboards.se/strul/c2.jpg

Regards

Jununger

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:22 AM
  • Jununger

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the program associated with these files (WhiteBoard Software) is not running when you try to delete these files. Something has a handle on those files and this is why they will not delete.

Try this.

How to perform a clean boot on a Windows Vista-based computer.

1. Click Start, type  msconfig  in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

After you log on and the Desktop appears.

1. Click Start/All Programs/Accessories. Right click  'Command Prompt' and select the 'Run As Administrator' option. Click Continue on the UAC prompt.

2. In the command prompt window, type the path to the folder where the .btx files are located and press Enter.

3. type:    del xxxx.btx    and press Enter.

(Where xxxx.btx is the name of the file you want to delete)

4.You should see a confirmation message, type  Y  and press Enter.

Use the 'del' command for each one of these files.

After this is completed, start the  'msconfig' utility again.

On the General Tab, select 'Normal Startup'.

On the 'Services Tab', click 'Enable All' and remove the check mark from 'Hide all Microsoft Services'.

Click OK and then click Restart.

Let us know the results.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top right of this message.
    This will help others who are having this issue find the answer quicker.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:55 PM
  • I won't be back at work until monday (23/6). Will try your suggestion then.

Regards
    Jununger
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hi Ronnie!

I'm sorry to say your latest trick didn't work either. When following your giude the CMD freezes when I try to delete the file i have left unable to delete. (see image)

http://www.iboards.se/strul/c3.jpg

You say in your post that some program might have a hold on the file. This sounds plausible. The problem with this file started with a falied download using Firefox 2.14.

Any other suggestion?

Regards

Jununger 

Monday, June 23, 2008 8:33 AM
  • Hi Jununger

Sorry your having such a tough time with this.

Go to the following website and read the description of a small utility called Unlocker. I have tested this utility extensively and it works very well for some very contrary files.

UNLOCKER 1.8.7 BY CEDRICK COLLOMB:
    http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Install the program and it will place a menu item in the right click context menu called 'Unlocker'. Read how to use it on that web page.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Hi

I am led to beleive that the file might be corrupt as if you notice the size of the file, its a 0 byte file. That still does not provide a good explanation as to why you cannot delete it. Can you take ownership of the file and change the permissions so that you have full rights and try to delete the file in safe mode. Also do a dir /a to check the attributes of the file and ensure that its not read only.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:25 AM
  • Celebrations!!! Smile

The Unblocker 1.8.7 did the trick. The file was blocked by Explorer.exe.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers
    Jununger
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:28 AM
  • Jununger

Great!

Your welcome, glad this fixed the problem.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:13 PM
  • I was having similar prb with a file. I downloaded the unlocker and it worked. Thank you guys for the post
    Monday, August 11, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Anumola

Glad this helped you fix the problem. Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, August 11, 2008 8:07 PM