Exchange GAL with Office365 Challange RRS feed

• Question

• So I have an on Premise Exchange Server.  We would like to setup a few office365 accounts for some mobile users.  I would like them to have their mailbox on Office365 but pul their GAL from our on premise Exchange server along with Free/Busy information if possible.

This probably is supported but I'm looking to be a bit creative here as this is probably just a temporary setup.  Maybe a registry hack in Outlook to point to the on prem. GAL and FreeBusy but connects to Office365 for their mailbox?

Thanks!

• Edited by Bob Lirick Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:57 PM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:44 PM

Answers

• If you are running Exchange 2007 or later, then you need an Exchange 2010 SP2 server to act as a hybrid server (you didn't say what version you have, if you're already there you can use the server you already have), plus an AD FS 2.0 server, plus a directory synchronizaton server.  If you're willing to make that commitment, then you can implement a hybrid configuration.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg577584.aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:12 PM

All replies

• If you are running Exchange 2007 or later, then you need an Exchange 2010 SP2 server to act as a hybrid server (you didn't say what version you have, if you're already there you can use the server you already have), plus an AD FS 2.0 server, plus a directory synchronizaton server.  If you're willing to make that commitment, then you can implement a hybrid configuration.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg577584.aspx

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:12 PM
  • Sorry to add that detail but yes, I have Exchange 2010 SP2 installed.

I am aware of the requirements for hybrid configuraiton.  I just didn't want to get in bed with that since this is going to be temporary.  I was hoping for a way to point those users to the Office365 mailbox but have Outlook look at the on premise server for the GAL and Free/Busy.

Any thoughts?

Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:20 PM
  • On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 23:20:13 +0000, Bob Lirick wrote:

>Sorry to add that detail but yes, I have Exchange 2010 SP2 installed.
    >
    >I am aware of the requirements for hybrid configuraiton. I just didn't want to get in bed with that since this is going to be temporary.

If you want/need the integration then you can't get away with not
    doing it all -- even if it's just for one mailbox for only a day.

>I was hoping for a way to point those users to the Office365 mailbox but have Outlook look at the on premise server for the GAL and Free/Busy.
    >
    >Any thoughts?

Just that what you want isn't in agreement with the way it works.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, August 24, 2012 3:32 AM
  • Hello,

As far as I know, this will not work. you cannot connect to Office 365 mailbox, but use the GAL and free/busy information on premise server.

Because the free/busy process works by downloading information directly from the calendar in the mailbox, when you connect the office 365 mailbox, you cannot make it to get free/busy information from mailboxes on premise server.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 24, 2012 7:37 AM
  • On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:37:26 +0000, Evan Liu wrote:

>As far as I know, this will not work. you cannot connect to Office 365 mailbox, but use the GAL and free/busy information on premise server.
    >
    >Because the free/busy process works by downloading information directly from the calendar in the mailbox, when you connect the office 365 mailbox, you cannot make it to get free/busy information from mailboxes on premise server.

Sure you can - if the on-premises and O365 organizations are operating
    in a hybrid mode. But that's what he doesn't want to do.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    Friday, August 24, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Sorry I didn't explain clearly.

I mean if you don't use hybrid mode, you cannot make it work as your required.

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:50 AM