Exchange 2007 machine: Backup of three whole volumes, waste of space? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Exchange 2007 server . Three volumes:

1-C:\  , system. (100 GB Hard disk)

2-D:\ , Exchange databases. (100 GB Hard disk)

3- E:\ , Exchange Logs. (100 GB Hard disk)

As far as I know, this is best practices.

All in an only VMWare machine.

I am reading that backing up this Exchange server, will take the three whole volumes, therefore, 300 GB of space needed ?.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I am sort of new to Exchange.

Is there a better way to locate my Exchange files, and the Windows system files?

Thanks in advance!

Luis Olías Técnico/Admon Sistemas . Sevilla (España - Spain)

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 11:43 AM

Answers

• Depending on how you are backing the volumes up, it could take 300GB, or it could take only the storage necessary for the actual data on the disks.  How are you running the backups?  Something you want to keep in mind - if you are running an Exchange-aware backup, you aren't going to backup the log files - they get written to the database and unneeded logs are purged at the end of the backup.

As for a better way, what you are showing looks like a planned configuration.  You normally want the Exchange data separate from the OS, and having the logs separate from the databases is a common practice.

• Marked as answer by cara chen Wednesday, May 14, 2014 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Exchange doesn't backup anything - the backup software does.  And backup software will backup Exchange by snapping the database, then clearing the logs that are old (pre backup start).  So only the data is backed up.

The volumes you place the Exchange data on depend on your own requirements.  Exchange 2010 and later were built so they run fine on DAS, so a SAN isn't required.  In fact, it may just be more unnecessary expense.  However, you can have it on a SAN, regardless of the type of Exchange server you have deployed.  Is the added cost of the SAN worth it?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:34 PM

All replies

• Depending on how you are backing the volumes up, it could take 300GB, or it could take only the storage necessary for the actual data on the disks.  How are you running the backups?  Something you want to keep in mind - if you are running an Exchange-aware backup, you aren't going to backup the log files - they get written to the database and unneeded logs are purged at the end of the backup.

As for a better way, what you are showing looks like a planned configuration.  You normally want the Exchange data separate from the OS, and having the logs separate from the databases is a common practice.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 12:25 PM
  • Thanks Willard.

Yes, It is Exchange-aware backup (VSS full backup, is this the same than Exchange-aware?).

So, I knew the logs disappear after a successful backup with VSS full , but in a point when going through the screens to perform the backup , I was told: "Exchange will backup complete volumes" , if my memory serves me well.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:10 PM
  • I also am wondering:

Could I place my Exchange databases and logs out of the box, in a SAN, even if it is not part of a failover cluster?. Does this sound advisable, reasonable?.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:12 PM
  • Exchange doesn't backup anything - the backup software does.  And backup software will backup Exchange by snapping the database, then clearing the logs that are old (pre backup start).  So only the data is backed up.

The volumes you place the Exchange data on depend on your own requirements.  Exchange 2010 and later were built so they run fine on DAS, so a SAN isn't required.  In fact, it may just be more unnecessary expense.  However, you can have it on a SAN, regardless of the type of Exchange server you have deployed.  Is the added cost of the SAN worth it?

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:34 PM