Any wya to add a static user to a Dynamic Distribution List? RRS feed

• Question

• We have OUs in AD based on which office people work out of.  We then have distribution lists setup to pull from those OUs so we don't have to manually update them.  However, we have one person who works in one office but manages people in a different office so she wants to be included on the emails that go to the other office.

I don't see any way to add someone to the group manually.  I tried creating a Contact entry in the OU for the other office and just added her name and an email address.  When an email went out today, she didn't get a copy.

When I looked at the properties in ECP, I've attached the Membership page.  There is an entry that's NOT checked for contacts with external emails but she has an internal email so not sure if that matters.

I think I'm going to check the button for All Recipient Types and see if that does anything or not.

If anyone knows a for sure way I can get this to work, that'd be great.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I had created the contact in AD which didn't work.  I then tried to create the contact from within ECP but got an error about the proxy address is already being used because I'm trying to use her same email in two places.  Is there any way this can be done?

• Edited by Kelemvor33 Friday, November 17, 2017 8:36 PM
    Friday, November 17, 2017 8:12 PM

Answers

• Simply adjust the recipient filter of the group to include this user. Here's an example:

Set-DynamicDistributionGroup -Identity DDG -RecipientFilter {Alias -eq "vasil" -or (RecipientTypeDetails -eq "SharedMailbox")}

where I've explicitly added the clause to match all objects with Alias "vasil". You can use other attributes as necessary.

Sunday, November 19, 2017 8:07 PM

All replies

• Simply adjust the recipient filter of the group to include this user. Here's an example:

Set-DynamicDistributionGroup -Identity DDG -RecipientFilter {Alias -eq "vasil" -or (RecipientTypeDetails -eq "SharedMailbox")}

where I've explicitly added the clause to match all objects with Alias "vasil". You can use other attributes as necessary.

Sunday, November 19, 2017 8:07 PM

OK, I'm back in the office after the holidays.  If I run your command, I just change "vasil" to the alias of the person I want to add and it will use the current users and the one I specify?  Will this show up in the UI anywhere to see that it's working?
    Monday, November 27, 2017 4:53 PM
  • Yes, use the alias or simply any other attribute - alias is easy to give an example. It will not be visible via the GUI though, only the pre-canned filters are displayed there.
    Monday, November 27, 2017 8:05 PM