none
Question in Assign working Hours during main task and subtasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I set a main task with 3 sub tasks.  For main task, I set a owner name A. For this task, I set working hours : 8H.

For these 3 tasks, I set different owner and working hours: A 2H , B 4H , C 2H. 

Then I found user A was totally set 10 hours now. Actually, I just set him 2 hours.

what's wrong with my action, can someone help me?

/Jou Chen

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You should not assign a resource on a summary task. A summary task is not an actual activity, this is just a high level name of a group of activities, composed by subtasks. In you case, the main task should either be a subtask, or not have any resource assigned to. A summary task automatically sums up the work of subtasks, and has as the start date the earliest subtasks start date, and as the finish date the latest subtask finish date.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Monday, April 13, 2015 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Easy, after A has assigned original work to the sub tasks, remove A from the Summary task.

Alternatively don't assign A to the summary task, instead to a custom field called Responsible and add the hours to another Custom Field called Team work.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Monday, April 13, 2015 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You should not assign a resource on a summary task. A summary task is not an actual activity, this is just a high level name of a group of activities, composed by subtasks. In you case, the main task should either be a subtask, or not have any resource assigned to. A summary task automatically sums up the work of subtasks, and has as the start date the earliest subtasks start date, and as the finish date the latest subtask finish date.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Monday, April 13, 2015 7:44 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Hi there,

I mean what you say. Don't set time for main tasks and set separated hours for sub tasks. 

the story is:  ABC is a small team, A is the responsible,  I set the task to A,  give him totally working hours. Then A received main task, he will write down sub tasks and assign them to A/B/C.  After tasks be finished, A/B/C will write down real working hours for the sub task. PM will know the whole hours used.  What shall I do?

/Jou Chen

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:42 AM
  • Easy, after A has assigned original work to the sub tasks, remove A from the Summary task.

Alternatively don't assign A to the summary task, instead to a custom field called Responsible and add the hours to another Custom Field called Team work.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Monday, April 13, 2015 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:06 AM