none
MAP 9.3 SQL Server Discovery Troubleshooting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Does anyone know where I can look to find out why a handful of SQL Servers in our estate are not getting collected by the SQL Server inventory?

I have run the "Generate Inventory Results Report" and the database servers are listed in the report with a WMI Status of "Successful"

Thanks

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrija

I see what you're saying...

This is really odd though, all of the instances do indeed turn up in the ProducsUnintsall table they also all turn up in the Win_Inventory.Services table under the SQL Server service name.

Also strangely a few more of them (but not all) turn up in the SQLServer_Assessment.SqlInstances table.

So as you say, I could at some way or another get a full inventory, it would be really useful to know though why some of the SQL Servers do not appear in the SQLServer_Inventory.Inventory.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this

Brian

• Marked as answer by Bawedy Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:01 PM

All replies

• That is just an overall reports for entire inventory. If you are looking for more details on SQL servers:

- Click on Database in the left hand menu
    - Double-click SQL Server Discovery box
    - Generate SQL Server Server Assessment of Server Database Details Report

Are you saying that SQL Servers are not showing up in these reports even though the device has been successfully inventoried?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:12 PM
  • Hi Andrija

Thanks for taking the time to reply

Yes, what I'm saying is that although the servers have been inventoried, they are missing from the SQL Server reports:

The options that I chose were the Database Inventory scenario,  for the inventory: Windows Computers and SQL Server with Database Details

Then I chose Active Directory for the Discovery method.

However a few of the SQL Server instances aren't getting picked up as SQL Servers, even though they are being inventoried, so that's why I checked the WMI status, however they have a status of successful

Thanks

Brian

Thursday, June 23, 2016 9:50 AM
  • That is odd.

It would be interesting to see if the instances show up in the ProductsUninstall table. 
    They would not have the edition if they show up here as records under those devices but would still let you know they are there.

Friday, June 24, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi Andrija

I see what you're saying...

This is really odd though, all of the instances do indeed turn up in the ProducsUnintsall table they also all turn up in the Win_Inventory.Services table under the SQL Server service name.

Also strangely a few more of them (but not all) turn up in the SQLServer_Assessment.SqlInstances table.

So as you say, I could at some way or another get a full inventory, it would be really useful to know though why some of the SQL Servers do not appear in the SQLServer_Inventory.Inventory.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this

Brian

• Marked as answer by Bawedy Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:01 PM
  • No problem Brian.

I am afraid MAP team would need to recreate the issue somehow and then troubleshoot it to see where the snag is. Hopefully you can manage to figure out your servers with the workaround. 

Monday, July 4, 2016 3:21 PM