Performancepoint Dashboard stopped working in EPM due to OLAP Cube Building Failed RRS feed

• Question

• My Performancepoint Dashboard have stopped working in EPM (Project Server 2010).

When I did some analysis I found that my OLAP CUbe Building is failed with below errors.

[3/25/2011 5:34 AM] Failed to build the OLAP cubes. Error: Failed to process the Analysis Services database Project2010 on the projectserverpr server. Error: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: A loop involving the member with the key {1BB1A023-70C6-4DEA-9CB7-1C090E19E230}, was detected in the parent-child relationship between the 'Task List attribute' attribute and the 'Task List' attribute

I tried to process the cube from SQL Server Analysis Services Management Console then alos it is giving same error.

SQL  Edition: SQL Server 2010 (Standard Edition)

Can you please help or direct to solve the problem.

Friday, March 25, 2011 10:15 AM

Answers

• This really isn't related to PerformancePoint at all, basically there is a circular reference going on in your project tasks.  Someone has setup the dependencies in a way that a parent task has a dependency on a child task (forgive my Project Server lack of terminology).  I am not familiar with the table structures in Project Server, but you need to track down where the circular reference is in the dependecy assignments to correct the issue with the processing.  An example of a query that could provide the results would be somthing like the following if I had a table called 'TaskList' with columns 'TaskID', 'TaskName', and 'ParentTaskID'.

select * from tasklist tl1 
    left outer join tasklist tl2 
    on tl1.taskid = tl2.parenttaskid 
    where tl1.parenttaskid = tl2.taskid

Based on this you can find the records that are causing the issue and correct them in the project plan to remove the circular reference issue that is causing your cube to fail during processing which is in turn breaking the dashboard.  Make sure that you have backups of your SSAS databases to be able to restore in case of processing issues or wrap the processing in a single transaction.  Another option is to perform the processing in a separate environment or instance and use synchronization to update the database used for reporting (this is an SSAS Enterprise Feature). 

Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:29 PM

All replies

• I have exactly the same problem, I just happend to stumble on this post since i have been looking for the past two days for an answer as our cube builds keep failing.

Failed to build the OLAP cubes. Error: Analysis Services session failed with the following error: Failed to process the Analysis Services database PSrv2 on the xxxx server. Error: Errors in the OLAP storage engine: A loop involving the member with the key {DB219DFA-BA42-46E1-AC27-23A7BA6DB675}, was detected in the parent-child relationship between the 'Task List attribute' attribute and the 'Task List' attribute. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Friday, March 25, 2011 8:22 PM
  • This really isn't related to PerformancePoint at all, basically there is a circular reference going on in your project tasks.  Someone has setup the dependencies in a way that a parent task has a dependency on a child task (forgive my Project Server lack of terminology).  I am not familiar with the table structures in Project Server, but you need to track down where the circular reference is in the dependecy assignments to correct the issue with the processing.  An example of a query that could provide the results would be somthing like the following if I had a table called 'TaskList' with columns 'TaskID', 'TaskName', and 'ParentTaskID'.

select * from tasklist tl1 
    left outer join tasklist tl2 
    on tl1.taskid = tl2.parenttaskid 
    where tl1.parenttaskid = tl2.taskid

Based on this you can find the records that are causing the issue and correct them in the project plan to remove the circular reference issue that is causing your cube to fail during processing which is in turn breaking the dashboard.  Make sure that you have backups of your SSAS databases to be able to restore in case of processing issues or wrap the processing in a single transaction.  Another option is to perform the processing in a separate environment or instance and use synchronization to update the database used for reporting (this is an SSAS Enterprise Feature). 

Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delayed revert. I could not go through your suggestion but happy to tell you it is the same thing what you suggested.

There was a task in one of the project plan which was causing the problems. When investigated the owner of this project had played enough with this plan.

What he did is attached actuals to a normal task and them made it as a summary task and much more like this.

I was allowed to delete the project and everything started to its normal.

What I did was did a search in EPM_Tasks table with member ID to find out which task was corrupted.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:22 PM
  • this was great information and help me resolved the same issue yesterday, my questions is how do we avoid this, in this case the PM had 1 summary task with the same Unique ID and 3 subtasks under the same Summary task. and of course he had no idea since the unique ID do no display in MS Project schedule. 
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:18 PM