Windows XP Home edition startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone. I have an HP Pavilion DV6000 with Windows XP Home SP3.

My problem is that when i start my machine, it tries to load Windows XP Embedded that of course isn't right and then a BSOD is on my screen (0x00000024). If I make a restart because the load of those Windows, my normal Windows XP Home Edition loads perfectly.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? 

Thanx in advance.

John

Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am assuming your computer is attempting to access the recovery partition on boot. This can occur if the boot sequence selects recovery by default on boot.

However, assuming otherwise, it does sound like a NTFS corruption issue, in which case you will need to try boot into a command prompt (usually achieved by pressing F8 key on boot)

When you get a command prompt, type in the following command chkdsk x: /f /r  (Where x is the operating system drive -- usually c)

This will run a scan and can take some time but if successful, upon reboot it should resolve the issue.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Sunday, March 18, 2012 7:21 PM
  • Hi Martin G Evans.

I have already done  a chkdsk with no result. After I restart my computer it starts on Windows Xp, but when out of the power cord and on again, it tries to load the Embedded again. I want to make a bios battery change because the problem starts when my computer is off the power cord.

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:18 AM
  • I suggest we check the Boot.ini file to confirm whether there are two Windows XP systems in this computer.

If this is the case, we can try modifying the Boot.ini file to fix such problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Regards

Kevin

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:07 AM