How can I get data as input to a script from an application that writes to STDIN? RRS feed

• Question

• I am by no one's definition a Powershell expert, or even a coding expert for that matter. I like to call myself a Google coder. I cobble together code from here and there to simplify tasks or accomplish a specific goal.

Below is a very simple shell script that is executed from within an application. It reads the data from STDIN and writes it to a file. I am trying to duplicate it, maybe even expand on it using Powershell. I've tried using $Input, [Console]::In, Read-Host and other ideas to no avail. I can't figure out how to get Powershell to read the data the executing application is writing to STDIN.

Pulling my hair out over this one...

1. #!/bin/sh
    2. rc_ok=0
    3. while read token event_number event_data
    4. do
    5.      echo $event_number $event_data >> /tmp/event.dat
    6.      echo "$token $rc_ok"
    7. done
    8. echo "Terminating"
    9. exit 0
    Friday, December 16, 2016 5:43 PM

Answers

• So you have a program that writes its output to stdout, and you want to process these lines of output in a particular fashion using a PowerShell script (by reading stdin), and output the processed lines (say to stdout or a file). Is that correct?

If that's what you are asking, here is a possible PowerShell equivalent:

$rc_ok = 0
    program.exe | ForEach-Object {
      $token,$event_number,$event_data = $_ -split '\W'
      "$event_number $event_data" | Out-File "event.dat" -Append
      "$token $rc_ok"
    }
    "Terminating"

Although in this simple example, I'm not sure what the purpose of the $rc_ok variable is, since it's always zero. This is just a rough example.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:15 PM

All replies

• Sorry but this is not a Unix shell script forum.  You will need to post elsewhere. This forum only supports Microft scripting languages.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, December 16, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I'm not trying to write a UNIX script. I only included the UNIX script as as an example of what I am trying to accomplish in Powershell. If you would please read the full post, I am trying to get my Powershell script to do what the example UNIX script does.

I apologize if that wasn't clear in my original post.

Friday, December 16, 2016 7:49 PM
  • Then you need to post a PowerShell script and not just a unix script.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, December 16, 2016 8:26 PM
  •  I can't figure out how to get Powershell to read the data the executing application is writing to STDIN.

You can read the data from stdin the same way:

$event_number $event_data >> c:\tmp\event.dat

my blog: http://shserg.ru/

Saturday, December 17, 2016 7:21 AM
  •  I can't figure out how to get Powershell to read the data the executing application is writing to STDIN.

You can read the data from stdin the same way:

$event_number $event_data >> c:\tmp\event.dat

my blog: http://shserg.ru/

This > and this >> and all other redirectors of this type  are output redirectors.  > and >> are StdOut.

'some text' | program.exe

access the StdIn of the program where available.

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by Richard MuellerMVP Sunday, December 18, 2016 7:18 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:55 PM
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:27 PM
  • So you have a program that writes its output to stdout, and you want to process these lines of output in a particular fashion using a PowerShell script (by reading stdin), and output the processed lines (say to stdout or a file). Is that correct?

If that's what you are asking, here is a possible PowerShell equivalent:

$rc_ok = 0
    program.exe | ForEach-Object {
      $token,$event_number,$event_data = $_ -split '\W'
      "$event_number $event_data" | Out-File "event.dat" -Append
      "$token $rc_ok"
    }
    "Terminating"

Although in this simple example, I'm not sure what the purpose of the $rc_ok variable is, since it's always zero. This is just a rough example.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:15 PM