none
IE won't remember homepage RRS feed

• Question

• And resets to about:blank.

It was fine, then I downloaded something to earn free credits for a game I play.

Have since uninstalled it (was a browser, can't recall exactly which), but problem continues.

Please help!

Thanks,

Simon

wolfsgb Hotmail com

Thursday, November 27, 2014 6:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly, so please check if you have some new installed drivers and programs on the startup, use elimination to find the culprit.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean even you manually set the homepage in IE (Tools\Internet Options\General), it still resets to about:blank?

First I would suggest you run a virus scan in case some malware\virus might infect the homepage settings.

or test IE in no add-ons mode, luanch IE by running

iexplore.exe -extoff

If this issue disappear in this mode, then one add-on might be the culprit. then check the add-ons installed in you IE (Tools\Manage add-ons), then "All add-ons", eliminate the suspicious one (third party add-on).

Yolanda Zhu

Friday, November 28, 2014 6:13 AM
  • Cheers.

Ended up starting in safe mode, seemed to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Si

Friday, November 28, 2014 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

Safe mode starts Windows with a limited set of files and drivers. Startup programs don't run in safe mode, and only the basic drivers needed to start Windows are installed.

Safe mode is useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly, so please check if you have some new installed drivers and programs on the startup, use elimination to find the culprit.

Yolanda Zhu

Monday, December 1, 2014 11:09 AM