none
Using DPM to seed a new remote Exchange DAG RRS feed

• Question

• We have two sites in question one on west coast and the other on east coast of US.  Sites are connected via a 20Mbps WAN pipe.  Each site has a DPM server that backsup the local environment but is not interacting with the other sites DPM environment.

Our Exchange 2010 environment has 5 mailbox DB's and is currently setup with local DAG groups.  At our west coast site we have 3 Exchange MB servers so say E1 has the primary DB and E3 has the DB1 DAG.  We have a requirement to extend out our MB environment to the East Coast.  We will bring-up 2 new MB servers on the EC and plan on placing a DAG copy of the West Coast DB's in enterprise activation mode on 1 of the 2 servers.  Our EC and WC sites will be a single DAG group and during failover the connection will be to say failover.orgname.com
    Our WC mailboxes are around 300-400GB in size.

Some things we were thinking was to create a 6th MB DB, create its DAGs and then slowly bringing mailboxes into it from say DB1.  This will cause it to sync properly.  Another way we were thinking was via DPM where we would pre-seed the EC site with a DPM backup of the most recent DAG copy of say MB1.  Our concern through all of this is any log file buildup on the WC databases.

Can we use DPM in this manner?  Implications?
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:58 PM

All replies

• Hi

Crazy Idea  , love it :)

DPM wont support it directly but

Restoring into a DB that isnt seeded i dont know how Exchange would react , could be fun to test though

my blog is at http://flemmingriis.com , let me know if you found the post or blog helpfull or leaves room for improvement

Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:32 PM