ADFS 3.0 (2012 R2) WID or SQL and Server Sizing Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking at the options for deploying ADFS in 2012 R2 (3.0) and am getting conflicting information about the maximum number of supported ADFS Servers you can have in a single farm when using WID. One MS document says 5, another says 10 and others say 30 (if you've got less than 100 relying party trusts for both), does anyone have a definitive answer for this please?

The other thing I've been looking for is the ADFS 3.0 sizing calculator, all the links I've found end up with a "page not found" error, anyone got any ideas if there is such a thing anymore?

Cheers for now

Russell

Sunday, March 6, 2016 11:08 PM

All replies

• The support stance recently changed (January). So some documentations have some update latency I'm guessing :)

The official and latest status can be found here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn554248.aspx

And it states the following:

1 - 100 RP Trusts

More than 100 RP Trusts

1 - 30 AD FS Nodes

WID Supported

Not supported using WID - SQL Required

More than 30 AD FS Nodes

So up to 100 trusts, you can use up to 30 ADFS with WID. If you want to use more than 30 ADFS servers, regardless of the number of trusts, you have to go with SQL. If you want more than 100 trusts, regardless of the number of server, it will be SQL.

Of course, if you want to use Token Replay Detection (if you have Claim Providers Trusts, the Token Replay Detection works only for Claim Providers different from the local AD), or if you want to use the SAML Artifact Resolution, you have to go with SQL.

Note that you can also start with WID and eventually move to SQL later if your specs change or if you reach one of the thresholds for WID. The other way around, SQL to WID is, as of today, still unsupported.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, March 7, 2016 12:16 AM
  • For the second part of your question, I'll investigate.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, March 7, 2016 12:28 AM
  • Pierre,

Thanks for the confirmation about the number of servers you can have in a farm using WID and I look forward to your feedback to the second question.

Cheers for now

Russell

Monday, March 7, 2016 11:04 AM