none
File history prerequisites? RRS feed

• Question

• What are all prerequisites for free-of-failures operation of File History?

File History here was enabled for one non-administrative user with certain CIFS-share as backup destination. Auto mode is disabled. In last 2 months it was possible to run successfully few cycles of manual file history update. Now user wants to view file history (as a short test) of one selected directory the file history backups are enabled for. He/she is doing that by invoking the option Restore Previous versions from directory's context menu. List of versions is displayed. However this is the last step succeeding. The action "Open" for one of all found versions results in no system reaction. Same applies to Open in file versions flow.

What additionally not works is to enable automatic-mode, or to enter File History extended options to trigger manually backup cycle while auto-mode is disabled - all this while working as non-administrator user the file history for selected folders is configured for.

P.S. Where this crazy font size auto-decrement on Del or Backspace keystroke while editing this postage from? It is not possible to undo it!!! I work with Chrome just now.

Sunday, January 28, 2018 9:20 PM

All replies

• P.S. Where this crazy font size auto-decrement on Del or Backspace keystroke while editing this postage from? It is not possible to undo it!!! I work with Chrome just now.

You can cut all contents and paste to Notepad, then past back, the font size will be all same.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 29, 2018 7:48 AM
    Owner
  • Recording to your description of the issue, I can understand that File history cannot enable automatic mode, and also the backup version cannot restore with no system reaction. If there is any misunderstanding, come back to clarify with me.

Not sure if its related to CIFS share, please first turn off File history on this PC, and configure the File history to backup onto another local drive. Before do this, make sure to make a copy for all the backup files of this client PC on CIFS.  

Let me know if this can work for your properly. If so, we can confirmed that the File history feature works fine on your Client PC.

Then, please mapped the CIFS drive on your Client PC and see if the backup can work fine now after reconfigure the backup location.

For further troubleshooting, please check the File history engine log in Event viewer and see if there is any error message:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine%4BackupLog.evtx

You can also upload onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 29, 2018 7:59 AM
    Owner
  •  I can understand that File history cannot enable automatic mode, and also the backup version cannot restore with no system reaction.

Current status: To enter recovery mode works actually fine, however with big delays that might be caused by network connection - so as of this minute minor problem. User enables automatic mode, system needs some time, then auto-mode ON/OFF slider shows ON but is grayed-out. In this state it is not possible to enter File History "More settings" (caution, this is my free translation from localized Windows here), or again Settings app reaction after long time. Settings app goes away occasionally during waiting. Please note only in auto mode it is possible to initiate backup iteration manually.

Or the latest trial just few minutes ago:  switching on auto mode resulted in slider moved to position ON and not grayed out but accompanying error message displayed with error code 0x080070005 "unfortunately it did not succeeded".

I must see how quick an USB disk can be available for this test.

> Before do this, make sure to make a copy for all the backup files of this client PC on CIFS. 

How is this meant? To make backup of files on file history network destination side because change of destination on Windows side can purge those files?

Credentials (name, passkey) of Windows user using File History are different than credentials (again name and passkey) for backup destination network share access. Can this be the reason? However for some initial period it did work well this way.

• Edited by Anuusia Monday, January 29, 2018 9:49 PM
    Monday, January 29, 2018 9:29 PM
  • Well, what helped significantly is described below, however few small point still unclear. Unclear is also how it will behave in two days or so, after several shutdowns of Windows and used network storage.

To disconnect File History from destination storage.

Wait till FH completes disconnect.

Existing FH backups are not gone.

Reconnect to network storage, prior to this however ensure one is connected to used network storage from file explorer (login using destination credentials).

On reconnection FH recognizes presence of old backups on destination, I guess it has asked if user wants to continue from those. Answer here was YES.

Fine-tune FH settings, start backup iteration by pushing Start Backup now.

Backup iteration completed successfully, it is possible to disable then enable auto-mode several times in a sequence. No big lags are observed.

One of points still open: if to open file properties then version history tab then "show previous versions" for some  file stored in folder included in backups, there are two or more backups with the same time-stamp. Same applies to folders covered by backup. For some versions the button Open is grayed-out. For some ones the button Recover is grayed out. Or the Open button does not show any reaction on push. Is this normal?

The universal recovery mode gui (not file/folder specific) opens fine.

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:40 PM
  • The longer in dealing with File History the more irritating it is.

Because one day before certain bricks in file history were identified me decided today to reset the history. All files at destination location were destroyed. Disconnected Windows FH from destination then reconnected, some directories non-standard user added to FH, some exceptions made. Then first backup was started. Backup was complete few minutes later (up to five), with appx. 2GB of data at destination side (according to WUDO gui). One minute later backup was started again, just for test. The second one runs now for more than 20 minutes and is still not completed. During this WUDO gui shows "your files are being backed up" but the button reads "backup now" and is not grayed-out (means ready to be pushed). Also "Backup size 0GB" is being shown now during second backup is in progress. Destination station shows network and disk activities during this (no other station makes use of destination station this time).

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 9:36 PM
  • Hi, 

Seems several issue during your backup with File history. But to identify your issue, please help to upload following event log onto Network Drive and share the link here for our research:

Event log is locate here:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-FileHistory-Engine%4BackupLog.evtx

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:38 AM
    Owner
  • So I understand this is rather problem of machine here rather than common one. Really so?
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 10:03 PM