Disable Shift + Delete RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to DISABLE Shift+Delete?  I do NOT want to be able to bypass the recycle bin.

For anyone interested in WHY, here is a brief explanation:  We have a shared drive hosted on a Synology NAS, which provides a recycle bin.  Anything deleted from that drive ends up in the Synology recycle bin.  Anything deleted with Shift+Delete bypasses the synology recycle bin.

I know there is a setting in Group Policy for ALWAYS BYPASS the recycle bin (User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Explorer "Do not move deleted files to Recycle Bin"), but disabling this policy still allows Shift+Delete.

Thank you!

PS: I do not want to use third-party programs.

Edit: This is in regards to Windows explorer, on Windows 7 machines.
    • Edited by jondehen Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 3:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I check my test machine but didn't find any option could disable Shift +Delete. I'm a bit couldn't understand to disable this feature, as even this feature was disable, User still could delete the file through Recycle. If not, generally speaking, people delete a file usually just press delete not Shift+Delete.

In the end, what I want to say, disable this feature couldn't prevent people delete file permanently by accident. Thanks for your understanding.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jondehen Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:16 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I check my test machine but didn't find any option could disable Shift +Delete. I'm a bit couldn't understand to disable this feature, as even this feature was disable, User still could delete the file through Recycle. If not, generally speaking, people delete a file usually just press delete not Shift+Delete.

In the end, what I want to say, disable this feature couldn't prevent people delete file permanently by accident. Thanks for your understanding.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by jondehen Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:16 PM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 5:53 AM
  • agree with Roger, user can just right click on the file select delete and go to recycle bin and empty the bin. File is gone.

Or user can just select cut, copy the file to his/her own thumbdrive or storage, file is gone also.

Basically, once the user has a modify control on the folder or files. Then the risk of deletion is always there.

Backup, backup and backup. Or give them read access only.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Thursday, June 12, 2014 6:16 AM
  • Sorry, I forgot to mention that even if a user empties the recycle bin on their machine, the file persists in the Synology NAS's recycle bin.

Hence, emptying the recycle bin does NOT remove the file from the NAS, whereas a Shift + Delete bypasses the Synology recycle bin altogether.  So disabling Shift + Delete really could prevent them from deleting a file permanently since it would still reside on the NAS.

I was just looking for a way to ease forensic recovery should that need arise.  Thank you guys for the input!  Pretty sure we cannot disable Shift + Delete without resorting to third party apps.

Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:15 PM