none
Add HDDs with Raid5 to Hyper v guest RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have this senario::

Hyper v host with wondows server 2016 datacenter, I created window 10 guest with hyper HDD around 60GB, in the host I have 6 HDD 4TB and one SSD 512 for winows system.

One HDD 4TB for hyper-v machines.

5 HDD 4T converted to Raid5 and become E partation with total storag around 14TB.

The question is: can I add E partation "Raid partation in the host" to my window 10 guest to make it seen as a physical disk in the guest and in the same time see it in the host? In fact I added it as a map drive but face the data transfer so slow.

How to see the Raid partation in the host and the guest in the same time and the same data bits rate speed?

Thanks

Monday, September 21, 2020 4:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

it is this 'guest and host at the same time' part that is problematic. Windows is not very good at providing shared access to physical volumes so this is probably not going to work.

That said, sharing the drive on the host and accessing it from the guest over the virtual network should be fine. You only have to make sure that the traffic does not leave the host, i.e. you need a vSwitch where a host also has in interface attached to it ('Share the NIC with management OS') *and* the guest has to use the IP of that vNIC to access the host (use the HOSTS file if need be).

Evgenij Smirnov

http://evgenij.smirnov.de

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 4:57 AM
  • Hello Evgenij,

In fact I work in windows domain environment, all of Hosting and guest windows in the same domain and share the same 2NIC as NIC teaming and convert them to vEthernet for hyper v.

I use a software to collect data from my network (more than 4TB) this software made full and incremental BU for all data every day, in the past, I did that in one C2D PC with windows10 and attached 4 HDD4TB in the windows, the process not take more than 2days or 3 as maximum even with the big size folders, now more than one week and didn't finish the backup yet. It so slowly.

Wednesday, September 23, 2020 7:35 AM