Bitlocker Recovery Key RRS feed

• Question

• My data disk was locked by Bitlocker. Unfortunately I forgot my recovery key and password. How can I get my data files?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Places to look for your BitLocker key:

1.On a printout you saved. Look in places you keep important papers.

2.Saved on a USB flash drive. Plug the USB flash drive in to your locked PC and follow the instructions. If you saved the key as a text file on the flash drive, use a different computer to read the text file.

3.In your Microsoft account. To get your recovery key, go to BitLocker Recovery Keys.

4.In your Azure Active Directory account. For work PCs where you sign in with an Azure Active Directory account, to get your recovery key, see the device info for your Microsoft Azure account.

Or ask someone for help:

Ask someone with administrator privileges on the same PC to unlock it with their key.

If your PC is connected to a domain (usually a work or school computer), ask a system administrator for your recovery key.

More information:

Find my BitLocker recovery key

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026181/windows-10-find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

In addition, please note, if you encrypt the drive, the recovery key is the last way to unlock the drive. If you still can’t find your the recovery key, you are not able to decrypt and access the drive, that is the sole purpose of BitLocker.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Thomasr28 Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:04 AM