none
DNS Entry for an External Domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to add a DNS entry in my Windows 2012 DNS Server for a domain also exists on internet. For example:

microsoft.com (exists on internet)

myserver1.microsoft.com (should go to an internal IP when internal users access it)

I don't want to use hosts file in users' pcs.

What kind of zone i should add in my internal DNS server?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Based on my understanding, you want microsoft.com to resolve to one site on the Internet but a different site on the company Intranet. Please feel free to let me know, if my understanding is wrong.

Please create a DNS zone called microsoft.com on your Intranet DNS server which could also have a myserver1 host record pointing to your internal site.

Check if the following link is helpful:

How do you manage different internal and External Domain names?

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, October 17, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi ,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.                   

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Monday, October 21, 2019 3:34 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:59 AM
  • I created two DNS Zones for myserver1.domain.com and myserver2.domain.com then created blank host records with IP only and it worked.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hi ,

Thanks for your sharing!

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:59 AM