none
GPO filtered out

Question

• Hi, i configured a group policy object that changes some value on the registry.
    but for some reason, not matter where i am linking that GPO I am always getting "the following GPO was not applied because they were filtered out"

I think it's maybe because we already have a gpo that has some settings and one of the settings is that setting that i configured into that GPO that doesn't work... (this GPO that doesn't work does the opposite - I want to do exceptions for some users).

Maybe I have a way to do exceptions for that existing GPO I have? I will be more than happy if you will tell me how to do that.

Thank you

Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:52 PM

All replies

• Filtered out can mean it is either empty, disabled (hard to see - the icon is very slightly faded out), or all of the policies it defines are overridden (taken precedence over) by other GPOs.

Group Policy Modelling/Results should let you know about the filters - take a look at the 'Winning GPOs' on policies that are defined. Perhaps you will see that policies you have defined in your GPO are being set by a different GPO that 'won' that policy.

Check the Link-Orders on your OUs as well for sorting this if you notice that your GPO is not 'winning' the policies. Link-Orders are key to showing which GPOs will be Winning GPOs.

Hope this helps!

Rory Fewell

(CCNA, MOS)

Windows Server 2012 and Networking Fundamentals Apprentice

Visit my site!

View me on GitHub!

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, November 20, 2016 1:55 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 1:06 PM
  • > but for some reason, not matter where i am linking that GPO I am always
    > getting "the following GPO was not applied because they were filtered out"

Check for MS16-072 and its "known issues" :)

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, November 20, 2016 1:55 PM
    Sunday, November 20, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Hi,
    As Martin said, please check if MS16-072 is installed on clients and domain controllers, if that is the case, please use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO). If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission. Please see: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/3163622
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 21, 2016 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, November 25, 2016 7:40 AM