Multi Monitor - different Screeen Saver for different monitor - Setting for notebook computers... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question about the multi monitor, screen saver setting for Windows 7.  I'd like to know 2 questions.

1.) if I can set different screen saver settings on different monitors
    2.) If I can do it, can I work on the external (or non-primay) monitor, when I have the primary monitor with "blank" screen saver?

Basically, I put my notebook computer at the docking station at work, and the docking station is connected to a 22" monitor, desktop keyboard and mouse.  So, at work, the 22" monitor and K/B would be my primary use.  However, I still "flip" open the notebook monitor for dual monitor use. 

I'd like to "save" the notebook monitor when I don't use it for 30 min. or so...  I'd like to "power" it off or set it so that it would only turn on if I move my mouse to that screen.

Is there a way to do it?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:49 AM

Answers

• Hi

There isn't any way to do what you are describing.

The reason is that both monitors have the same source for the video. You can extend the video to the second monitor, but this just gives you more screen space.

The screen saver will only display on the monitor that is set as the default and when the screen saver starts, the other monitor will be blank.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi

There isn't any way to do what you are describing.

The reason is that both monitors have the same source for the video. You can extend the video to the second monitor, but this just gives you more screen space.

The screen saver will only display on the monitor that is set as the default and when the screen saver starts, the other monitor will be blank.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:58 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:42 AM
  • As Ronnie mentioned, we cannot do this with Windows 7 embedded settings.

You can see if third party software such as MurGeeMon can achieve this.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:59 AM