none
Hyper-V and DPM

Question

• We are running a cluster of Hyper-V servers all running Server 2012 R2, for our protection we are using Hyper-V replication from our data centre over a VPN connection to our offsite location. Also we run DPM 2016 as a nightly backup.

I have 2 issues that i'm guessing both will be the same solution.

The setup of most of the VM's are small little RDS Farms, 1. File Server, 1. Broker, 2 X TS's. no data on the TS's, all stored on the File Server. I have also moved the paging file off the vhdx file and onto its own and excluded from replication.

Replication seems to be very high, I would expect replication on file servers to be higher but we are seeing high loads on TS's. 

Does anyone have a tool to track what is changing on a VM so that we change if possible.

The 2nd issue is similar. DPM is backing up the VM's, again I would expect to see high changes on the file servers however on the TS's we shouldn't be seeing much. Currently as an example I'm seeing a daily change on a TS of between 20 - 30GB. I can't believe that this much data is changing on a TS.

Any suggestions from anyone

Friday, March 3, 2017 8:11 AM

All replies

• Hi JRH81,

>>Does anyone have a tool to track what is changing on a VM so that we change if possible.

Changes inside VMs are the same as physical machines.

>>Currently as an example I'm seeing a daily change on a TS of between 20 - 30GB. 

Are there any other applications running?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 6, 2017 5:13 AM
  • Hi Leo,

The TS has standard apps such as Office and some 3rd party applications, we have taken time to remove any databases etc, these are stored on a shared volume on another server. One thing I just thought about is that we use User Profile Disks which holds Desktop, Documents, Favs, Outlook OST. Replication is running all the time so would this replicate the user profile disk (vhdx) when attached. Not sure it would explain DPM, most users UPD are disconnected by time the backup runs.

John

Monday, March 6, 2017 9:52 AM

• Hi,
    Are there any updates?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 7:16 AM