Computer disappears for Windows XP collection RRS feed

• Question

• In my SCCM 2007 collection called Windows XP I had a computer in the collection.
    It was in the collection for about two weeks but when I checked on the Windows XP collection today and it was gone.
    I checked on the Windows AD and it was in the correct OU.
    I found out the computer was turned off and I had it reinitiaze the Discovery Data collection Cyle and now it shows up on the Windows XP collection.
    Does the computer have to be constantly on all the time? If the computer off for a certain amount of time then does it disappear from the collection.
    What about if the user brings the computer home and it is not physically connected to our LAN but connects only through the VPN connection will the computer name disappear from the Windows XP collection.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When a client is off it is not responding to the ConfigMgr heartbeat discovery and it will than be marked as inactive. Probably the Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data maintenance task removed the client.

By default this task removes clients that haven't reported in 90 days but perhaps this number in days is fewer in your environment. It is best to schedule this task with a higher schedule interval than the heartbeat discovery.
    Please mark posts as Answered if appropriate.
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:53 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When a client is off it is not responding to the ConfigMgr heartbeat discovery and it will than be marked as inactive. Probably the Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data maintenance task removed the client.

By default this task removes clients that haven't reported in 90 days but perhaps this number in days is fewer in your environment. It is best to schedule this task with a higher schedule interval than the heartbeat discovery.
    • Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Thursday, October 8, 2009 5:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by Garth JonesMVP Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:53 PM
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Can you tell me where I can find this Delete Inactive Client Discovery Data maintenance task.
    The heartbeat is set to check once a week and if the computer was turned on the next time the heart does it check will it show up on my collection.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

You can find the task in the console under Site Management - <your site> - Site Settings - Site Maintenance - Tasks

When the computer is back alife and the client is healthy it will show up in ConfigMgr again.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:16 PM
  • yes I found out the Delete Inactive Client discovery Data is set for 14 days. Does this mean that on the 14th day and the computer is not on it will be deleted from the Windows xp collection. If the computer is on during the 7 day heartbeat then it will show up in the Windows XP collection.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

In your case it means that the client will be removed 14 days after it was set as inactive in ConfigMgr. If the computer reacts on the heartbet discovery within the 14 days it will be active again.

Since people are out of the office on holiday end so on I recommend to set the task on a higher number of days.

Friday, October 9, 2009 7:51 AM