none
VHDX file size for Windows 7 Pro 32bit SP1

Question

• Dear forum,

I am a newbie in PC virtualization and ran across some possible issue when setting up a virtual 32bit Windows 7 inside a Windows 10 Pro 64bit host.

Everything ran well up to the point where the virtual machine installed updates (I believe it was 207 updates and hung at update number 63).  The issue is the VHDX file ran out of space (I assigned 100 GB for the Windows 7 SP1 installation). I assigned the virtual machine in a partition of 100GB and thought it was enough for the Win 7 32bit installation plus MS office 2003.

What is the typical VHDX file size for allocating a virtual Windows 7 OS inside a Win 10 host?

Looks like 100GB is far from being enough.

Thank you Forum!

Budana

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:17 PM

All replies

• 100 gig for Win7 x86 should be more than enough. When you logon to windows 7 and look at disk space usage what do you see? What was error reported? Were the errors reported on host or guest?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 5:46 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

The status went from "running" to "paused-critical".  The disk was almost full in this partition that I allocated for VMs and VHDXs .

No other errors that I notice except it stopped installing windows updates.

The thing is that I am sure it is because of critical disk space, but what configuration error did I do in creating this Win 7 VM to be at 100 gigs just halfway into installing its updates?

Thanks again!

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:10 AM
  • Btw.  This is my first setup of a VM. No other VMs or VHDXs are in this host, ergo the confusion of the very large file size.  I started with almost 3 gigs containing the Win 7 ISO in the same partition.  But even, 100GB - 3GB = 97GB is still ample space?
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:13 AM
  • Are you sure your VHDX is out of space?  Or is it your physical disk that is out of space.  The error you reference is related to the host's disk space, not the VMs.  

Your 100GB VHDX is irrelevant is you only have 20GB of actual physical disk space where the VHDX is located.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Not sure what you mean. The ISO for the OS you're installing would typically just be somewhere on the host, nothing to do with the virtual disk space for guest. Maybe the host ran out of space for VHD.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 12:17 AM
  • Sorry guys for being unclear:

Here were the steps I did last night:

- I have a 1 TB harddrive (physical), around 800GB remaining.  Around 200GB total is for my Win 10 and other files.

- I made a new NTFS partition of this physical harddrive just to accommodate my virtual machines and drives. The size I allocated is 100GB

- The first creation of my VM using Hyper-V failed upon opening my Windows 7 VM and in the middle of doing windows updates (very large and long 207 updates). It stopped at update 63, with the VHDX size almost the size of the physical partition it is in (100GB).

- I now have that same partition accommodate my Win7 with a dual boot system. I now still have 84 gigs out of the 100 gigs (with all the updates and drivers).

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:30 AM
  • - The first creation of my VM using Hyper-V failed upon opening my Windows 7 VM and in the middle of doing windows updates (very large and long 207 updates). It stopped at update 63, with the VHDX size almost the size of the physical partition it is in (100GB).

I'd try logging on to the guest to see what happened. If you can't logon (OS broken) I'd probably delete / start over to see if issue replicates. May not be worth the time fretting over.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:51 AM
  • Thanks Dave,

I just installed my old Win XP Pro successfully (with a file size that make sense).  Now I am stuck in connecting legacy network emulation to the host's physical network.  I will open a new subject in the forum and let's see if I could get internet in my Win XP VM.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:53 AM