none
Adding second, third, fourth DPM Servers- How do I move protected servers to new DPM Servers without double replicas? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings. 

We are in the process of adding new DPM Servers as the one we currently have is overloaded. We also are looking to redistribute where the data sources are backing up to different geographic locations. Well, that and I need to restructure the storage. (did not turn co-location on disk 'on' from the get go) So... I have a DPM server thats protecting a group of servers.. how do I move them to the new DPM servers WITHOUT having to create new replicas? Is there a way to do this? The reason I ask is that we have limited storage space, and do not have space for duplicate copies of the replicas. Thank you in advance. 

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Cheesewhip,

Your best option is to turn up another DPM server and then move the protected servers to that new DPM server. Here is a blog post on this process: http://www.buchatech.com/2011/02/move-a-protected-server-from-one-dpm-to-another-dpm/ .

Now I know you said you have limited storage so you could essentially restore you’re DPM on a new server. You would need to use the DPMBackup tool to back up the DPM database and replicas (You could simply move the storage with the replicas to the new server or attach if iSCSI or SAN etc...) then restore them on a different server that has a fresh install of DPM.  

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterdataprotectionmanager.com
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 5:12 AM