Changing status when the 'Assigned To' field is null RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workflow that emails the analyst when a relationship is created between the assigned to property and an instance of the domain user.  Is there a way to initate some action when a relationship is destroyed or set to 'null'?

I currently have a notification subscription that I need to only function when the Assigned To field is empty.  Setting a criteria under the "changed to" tab where the assigned to field is empty results in a workflow that doesn't run at all.  I am assuming its because a relationship never existed.

I also would like to set the case status to 'unassigned' anytime the assigned to field is set back to null.  is that possible?

Allen Anderson Systems Analyst Arizona State University - OKED Knowledge Informatics
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 3:12 PM

Answers

• I actually created a custom property that is set to 0 or 1 depending on whether or not a relationship exists between the IR and the AssignedUser.  From that I am able to build workflows to do what I need.

<DeleteRelationship /> tag in the XML was the key.  

Allen Anderson Systems Analyst Arizona State University - OKED Knowledge Informatics
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:21 PM

All replies

• I actually created a custom property that is set to 0 or 1 depending on whether or not a relationship exists between the IR and the AssignedUser.  From that I am able to build workflows to do what I need.

<DeleteRelationship /> tag in the XML was the key.  

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Hemirunner426,

We ran into the same issue like your where the workflow would not fire when the "Assigned To" field is empty.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Brian

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:09 PM
  • This is because the WF (as seen in the console) can only process property changes, not relationship changes.  When an analyst in assigned to an incident, a relationship is created between class incident and user.  You'll need to build a workflow that uses the <AddRelationship> <DeleteRelationship> tags in the XML.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:21 PM
  • hmirunner426,

Thank you for your quick reply. 

However, I’m total lost at this point. Could you please provide steps to accomplish such task?  If it is possible, we can communicate off line.  Here my e-mail:  btran@mwdh2o.com

Many thanks,

Brian

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:07 PM
  • This seems like a popular request.  I need a subscription based on the Assigned To field being null.  This blog post talks about Relationships: http://www.scsm.se/?p=759

I plan on working through the xml this evening.

if so many of us are requesting this maybe MS should add some console functionality for this in SP1.

- Get on the floor, do that dinosaur

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:20 PM
  • Yes it is and I'd hope that MS would of done that for 2012, but unfortunately its still only property based.

Anyways, the above blog is good as is this one: http://scug.be/valerie/2011/12/05/scsm-2012-notify-analyst-on-incident-reassignment/

There are also plenty of resources/examples on Google too.

Monday, June 25, 2012 9:27 PM