One Blind Eye RRS feed

• Question

• This is a strange questions but I looking for a simple solution. A client (acountant) posed this problem - he brought one of his clients Win 7 64bit machines into his office and connected it to his network, he was shocked to learn that the machine could see all the shares on his network. Rights will not allow access but he does not want the outside users to see the shares or folder names (other clients).

Outside access will be via LogMeIn program. The machine will be used to do client training for QuickBooks and other programs. The machine will only be on his network for 21 days.

My first thought was use of SteadyState and impose limits, software will not work with Win 7, the second thought was to change the work group and subnet it away from the other machines.

Any good ideas on the best way to make his network invisible to this machine would be appreciated.

Monday, July 12, 2010 10:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you rename the shared folders with the suffix “$” to hide the folders for all clients. For example, the shared folder name is “test”, you can rename it as “test$”. You will need to share the folders again after renaming them.

Since this way will hide the shared folders for all the clients, you need to inform the users with the correct folder names.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:02 AM