How do I pin Internet Explorer to the taskbar programatically so it stacks when launched? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm part of a team rolling out Windows 7 to 2000+ users.  We're using mandatory profiles and AppSense to control the user environment.

We have a requirement to pin IE to the taskbar via a VBScript.  We have successfully achieved this using the verbs method, which simulates right-clicking "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" and selecting the "Pin to Taskbar" context menu option.

However, even when this is done manually, if you then launch IE, a new taskbar icon appears when the window opens, instead of stacking on top of its pinned counterpart.  If I pin the icon created by the open window and unpin the original, any subsequent instances of IE then stack on top of this pinned icon.

The problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to create this stacking quick launch icon without first opening an IE window and pinning that, which I can do via a script.  This has me and all my techie colleages at IBM completely stumped, so some MS expertise would be extremely useful and gratefully received!

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you tell us more details on your verbs method of pining Internet Explorer 9 to taskbar? Maybe we can test it and find something useful.

I would also like to share the following article with you:

Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script

Hope this helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:31 AM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know if you are using 64-bit version of Windows 7.

If so, based on my understanding, if you pin the icon which locates at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, you has selected the Internet Explorer 64-bit. You could try to pin the icon in C:\Program Files(X86)\Internet Explorer for test.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:41 AM

All replies

• Pin IE to the taskbar in the image itself, saves the hassle when you have to do it on every machine anyways.  You can do that by using the System Image Manager application to modify the OS catalog in your image file.
    Rich Prescott
    Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | MCITP, MCTS, MCP
    • Proposed as answer by Rich Prescott Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:11 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Valiante Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:56 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Hi Rich,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately the customer wishes to keep the mandatory profile as clean as possible to reduce future admin overheads and have already rejected this as an option when we suggested it.  Due to the way in which the environment is being managed by AppSense, we need to find a way to create the pinned icons on first login.  Using the windows scripting verbs method works for all other icons, unfortunately IE is the only one which doesn't stack when a window is launched.

Regards.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

Can you tell us more details on your verbs method of pining Internet Explorer 9 to taskbar? Maybe we can test it and find something useful.

I would also like to share the following article with you:

Pin Items to the Start Menu or Windows 7 Taskbar via Script

Hope this helps.

Alex Zhao

Monday, August 8, 2011 1:23 AM
  • Hi Alex,

The link you've posted demonstrates the exact method we're using.  It merely simulates right-clicking the executable and selecting "Pin to Taskbar".  As mentioned above, the non-stacking behaviour can be replicated if iexplore.exe is pinned manually, so I don't believe it's an issue with the script.

You can recreate our situation for testing by first unpinning any IE icons you have on your taskbar, then browsing to iexplore.exe, right-click and "Pin to Taskbar".  Then launch a new IE window using any method you like and you'll see a new taskbar icon appears for the new window, instead of stacking on top of the pinned icon.

Hope this clarifies things.

Regards.

Monday, August 8, 2011 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know if you are using 64-bit version of Windows 7.

If so, based on my understanding, if you pin the icon which locates at C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer, you has selected the Internet Explorer 64-bit. You could try to pin the icon in C:\Program Files(X86)\Internet Explorer for test.

Alex Zhao

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Alex,

First, apologies for delay in replying.  I don't seem to get reply notifications.

I'm afraid we're running 32-bit Win 7 so the above is moot.  Have you tried recreating the problem?  It's easy enough to do, without the script.

Regards.

Friday, September 2, 2011 8:02 AM
  • I have the same issue. We use german 64-Bit Windows 7. But I want to pin 32-bit IE to the taskbar.

Pinning works, but if I start IE there is another IE-icon right of the pinned one. I have to say, that I've created a IE-shortcut under ALLUSERS-startmenu before.

Resolutions so far?

• Edited by ThiloL Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:42 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:40 AM