After Windows updates that need reboot, my PID is gone, nothing works ... RRS feed

• Question

• Yall

I am totally frustrated here. Symptoms are:

1) PID is valid Technet Win7 Ultimate on my lab Dell Studio 17 box

2) HW added in January (extra Sata HD internal from Dell)

3) Reloaded Win 7 64 without any hitches .. all worked well

4) Loaded Security Essentials as AV

5) Now no matter what I do (sinc Jan!!!!!!!!!!) I cannot load any updates that need reboot .. the updates go ok, WinUp asks for reboot and that's it  ... I am forced to to to safe mode, and try to restore to a synch point that might or not work.

My PID is valid, this is not a bough version over ebay, it comes from my MDSN Un/Technet pack and is the only darn machine that has this issue!!!

Dell states it is a Windows bug ...

H E L P :)

Cheers AR
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:47 PM Moved to proper forum category (From:Windows 7 Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows 7))
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:21 PM

Answers

• there is no solution for the problem. After one year at PSS, there solution was ... reload the OS ... !

Just for kicks, the same happened to my wife's Dell laptop and the PID was gone .. I forced powered it off, and got back to the previous checkpoint, then restarted, and the PID came back.

After that, I manually installed the updates one at a time, and the PID was not lost then. Lessons learned: if you lost you PID, go back and restore from a previous checkpoint, then install one update at a time until the list is completed. Hopefully this will work for you. In my case, since the issue propagated itself for months on end, there was no solid checkpoint to go back so I am hosed.

AR

Cheers AR
    • Marked as answer by ARosenthal Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:06 PM

All replies

• Yall

Just as an update, ran the memory diagnostics, found nothing wrong, rebooted and PID is gone ...

I am at a total loss here :(

ar

Cheers AR
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Technet.

Maybe you installed some driver updates so that Windows activation server considers that the hardware environment for your system is changed. Please just re-activate the system.

If online activate does not work, please run “slui -4” from Start Search box and follow the instructions to activate the system via phone.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum  
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, August 13, 2010 8:46 AM
  • After spending over a week canvassing forums and the likes, I opened a case with Premier for support on this mess. Restored the system to a check point prior to the last update that forced reboot and even an install from a 3rd party (email deamon from godaddy) causes the PID to vanish!

I will post the results of the case with MS as soon as it gets traction .. suffice to say I need to run an update on .NET 3.5 that is required for Project Servef 2010 and cannot due to this error.

AR

Cheers AR
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Technet.

Maybe you installed some driver updates so that Windows activation server considers that the hardware environment for your system is changed. Please just re-activate the system.

If online activate does not work, please run “slui -4” from Start Search box and follow the instructions to activate the system via phone.

Arthur Xie
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum  
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

I get the non-core error when I do that ... killing the .dat at the roaming folder gets the system with a refreshed PID but does not work when it is on the invalid PID mode, only after I run a restore to previous checkpoint. LKGC does not work either (loops at login with installing udates but % never shows ...)

I thought it was an issue with the firewall or security essentials, opened fw and removed SE and problem remained there ...

Cheers AR
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Click Start, right-click on Computer and choose Properties. Is your system activated now?

Additionally, are all the updates installed properly? You may open Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, click “View installed updates” in the right pane to check.

If the updates are all installed properly, I suggest you remove the pending.xml. It is under C:\windows\winsxs\

If the updates are not installed properly, please temporary disable the antivirus and firewall. Then clear the folder SoftwareDistribution.

Please refer:

You cannot install some updates or programs

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 7:07 AM
  • Escalated to MS Product support and got a resolution:

1) First you need to knock down the boot options using msconfig .. select the last option and disable startups, then select services and knock out all that is not MS (check box at the bottom)

2) Reboot ... system reinjected the win update bits ... system rebooted still using the special msconfig selections as 1 above.

3) Ran all updates .. worked well

4) went back to msconfig and select normal .. rebooted ok

Note that this would only work after I achieved a recovery point where the PID was not mangled out. It took me several boots in safe mode and returns to old checkpoints until I found one that the PID was intact.

Note: there is a clear issue with win update and Win 7 that some updates would trigger a PID loss mode on WIndows ... MS should investigate this.

Had I not been using my MSDN incident I would have been adamant in not being charged for this support incident being that this is MS' issue and not related to my hardware or anything else.

AR

Cheers AR
    • Proposed as answer by Mani B Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:42 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by ARosenthal Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Oh well, almost a month and out of nowhere my version is now flagged  as invalid once again!!! From last night to today the laptop has gone from genuine to invalid PID without a single touch!!!

Back to MS PSS once more .. this is mighty ridiculous indeed ...

Cheers AR
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Do you still have your Product Key? Please click Start. Then right-click on Computer and choose properties. You will see if the system is still activated.

If it indicate that the system is not activated, I suggest you click Change Product Key. Then enter your Product Key and then activate the product again.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:49 AM
  • there is no solution for the problem. After one year at PSS, there solution was ... reload the OS ... !

Just for kicks, the same happened to my wife's Dell laptop and the PID was gone .. I forced powered it off, and got back to the previous checkpoint, then restarted, and the PID came back.

After that, I manually installed the updates one at a time, and the PID was not lost then. Lessons learned: if you lost you PID, go back and restore from a previous checkpoint, then install one update at a time until the list is completed. Hopefully this will work for you. In my case, since the issue propagated itself for months on end, there was no solid checkpoint to go back so I am hosed.

AR

Cheers AR
    • Marked as answer by ARosenthal Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:07 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 11:06 PM