none
resume protection for a protected group after I stopped it manually RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way or script I can make in order to resume protection for a protected group after I stopped it manually

Thank you

Hazem Tawfik
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You don't need a script, simply reprotect the same data source(s) by creating a new protection group, or adding the datasource(s) to an existing protection group and the inactive PG will disappear.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:30 PM
  • if i created a new protection group and add the same data sources i will lose all backups i took before and won't have option of synchronizing the old data
    Hazem Tawfik
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi,

It all depends on how long the data source(s) have been in inactive protection, and how long the original protection range is and how long the new protection range is.  As long as the new protection range is equal to or longer than the original protection range, then you will not loose previous (older) recovery points.    DPM prunes recovery points on a FIFO basis, so if you want 30 days protection, DPM will not prune the 1st days recovery points until you have 31 recovery points.    Since no new recovery points were made while in inactive protection, DPM will not start pruning until new recovery points are made, so we'll delete recovery points from the back as soon as new RP's are created.    The recovery points are not based on calandar days, they are based on only days that had a successful recovery point.  So if you requested 30 days protection, but in the last 30 days you missed 5 recovery points, then we won't start pruning until after 36 days assuming new RP's are created successfully.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:04 PM