Problems with java, javascript, and flash sites in win7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Some site I go to do not seem to work - they say I need to install flash 9 or later, or enable javascript to work...  or they use java and don't work.  I have installed latest Sun Java.  Example is http://dementiaradio.org/chat  and there have been a few others...

Any fixes, ideas?
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We could not open the sample website http://dementiaradio.org/chat either. I suspect that the Javascript from the website is not compatible with IE8.

However, the website http://moof.com/ works properly. It seems that IE does not load correct Javascript, or actually no script is loaded.

I suggest that you reset IE to default settings with the following steps.

1. Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
    6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
    7. Click Apply, click OK.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you remove all the installed toolbars.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, August 17, 2009 1:48 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:50 AM

All replies

• Hi DrDon,

The example site you mention works fine for me. I installed the latest Sun Java from sun.com.

Did you properly install Flash 9? In order to install Flash I had to start IE as Administrator and install the full Flash Client from the Adobe website. Can you give that a try?
    Ray
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:38 AM
  • I already installed the Sun Java, I tried to install the flash player.  Is there a seperate flash program?  My user account is set as administrator.  Does it make a difference that I am  using the 64 bit version of Win7 (I thought I read somewhere that flash wasn't ready for 64 bit yet)?  While waiting on your answers, I will poke around and try to answer myself also.... 

Thanks
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 11:44 AM
  • FYI, I just tried that site in my browser with no luck.  On a whim, I opened the 64-bit browser, and it Worked!  Can both 32 and 64 bit versions of Java be installed on same system?  I wonder... 

I did find out that Flash WILL NOT work in a 64 bit browser (per their website).
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Hate to keep coming back, but part of the problem is solved!  Yes, the 64 and 32 bit versions of Java can run on the same computer. Now the site I mentioned above is working for me. 

However there still seems to be a problem with javascript...  This site does not work: http://moof.com/  I get the message that I need flash and javascript enabled.  I went to adobe, and the flash works fine in my 32 bit browser (not in the 64 bit browser).  So, the problem must lie in javascript...  I cannot seem to find anywhere to "enable" javascript in IE options...

Any ideas?

Thanks
    • Proposed as answer by sunilkb4u Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:54 AM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:21 PM
  • I only use IE 64-bit and everything is working fine here for me.

To install Flash Player I right-click Internet Explorer and select Run as Administrator. On the www.adobe.com I choose Vista as the OS. Then I install Flash Player 10 for Windows - other Browser.

I hope this helps for you.
    Ray
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:09 PM
  • Flash sites seem to work ok, I think it's a javascript problem???
    • Proposed as answer by kiee1 Monday, July 27, 2009 2:51 PM
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:20 PM
  • I have the same prob I unistalled exploer 8 tried fox fire same issues as scrit works fine until I sign onto a sitr I am looking at http error acompare with httl it has to be a n issue between scprit not chaging between the 2 formats spent a week on this no luck keep changing browsers java still as soon as I sign onto a site script error our system freeze Next I will try windows xp update and try to solve .The issue is not java it is address after signing onto a site the f2 differnt formats explorer cannot make the change  good luck   kiee1
    kiee1
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:01 PM
  • Hi DrDon,

I hope you have followed the steps mentioned at Install Java in Internet Explorer:-

The information in this Help topic applies to Windows Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Internet Explorer 8.

Java is a technology used to create interactive or animated web content, such as games or advanced financial applications. Java programs are downloaded automatically to your computer when you use them and don't usually require special installation. To run Java programs in Internet Explorer, however, you must install special Java software. When you install Java, it is enabled by default and configured with safety settings at their highest.

To install Java, follow these steps:

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Go to the Java.com website.

Click the Free Java Download button. This should take you to the Java installation screen.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

If a yellow Information bar appears (warning you that the website requires an ActiveX control or add-on from Sun Microsystems), click the yellow bar and then click Install ActiveX Control or Install Add-on. When a Security Warning dialog box appears, click Install.

In the Welcome dialog box, click the View License Agreement button to read about the agreement, and then click Accept if you want to install Java. (Note that you can also change where Java is installed from the default location of C:\Program Files\Java by selecting the Change destination folder check box and by following the instructions.)

In addition to Java, you can also install the MSN Toolbar. The MSN Toolbar offers headlines, news alerts, and search tools from Microsoft. For more information see the MSN Toolbar home page. To install the toolbar, click the Terms of Use or Privacy Statement buttons and then read the statements. If you don't want to install the toolbar, clear the Install the new MSN Toolbar check box.

When you see the successful completion dialog box, click Finish. Java does not require any additional settings or restarts. If you installed the MSN Toolbar, you will see it when you open a new window or tab.

Notes

• This information also applies to Internet Explorer running on Windows Vista, Windows XP Service Pack 2, and Windows Server 2003.
    • To remove the Java software from your computer, uninstall it by using Uninstall or change a program in Windows Control Panel.

I have also found some information regarding resetting IE settings, accessible at:-

http://visualkb/VKBWebService/ViewContent.aspx?portalId=1&filePath=file%3a%2f%2fb11vkbfile%2fkbcatalog%2fkb%2fen-us%2f923%2f737.xml&contentType=KB&displayTermHighlighting=true&promoteToEnglish=true&displayXMLForm=false&searchTerms=%3cSearchTerms%3e%3cTerm+Text%3d%22IE%22+%2f%3e%3cTerm+Text%3d%22browser%22+%2f%3e%3cTerm+Text%3d%22javascript%22+%2f%3e%3cTerm+Text%3d%22enable%22+%2f%3e%3c%2fSearchTerms%3e&displayActions=true&sessionId=1011724901041&sequence=13&source=4096&componentId=2

If the above mentioned information doesn’t map with your issue; could you please specify your IE issue with other details like IE version, OS version currently being used?

Thanks,

Shruti

NOTE - Disclaimer

By using the following materials or sample code you agree to be bound by the license terms below and the Microsoft Partner Program Agreement the terms of which are incorporated herein by this reference. These license terms are an agreement between Microsoft Corporation (or, if applicable based on where you are located, on of its affiliates) and you. Any materials (other than sample code) we provide to you are for your internal use only. Any sample code is provided for the purpose of illustration only and is not intended to be used in a production environment. We grant you a nonexclusive, royalty-free right to use and modify the sample code and to reproduce and distribute the object code form of the sample code, provided that you agree: (i) to not use Microsoft's name, logo, or trademarks to market your software produced in which the sample code is embedded; (ii) to include a valid copyright notice on your software product in which the sample code is embedded; (iii) to provide on behalf of and for the benefit of your subcontractors a disclaimer of warranties, exclusion of liability for indirect and consequential damages and a responsible limitation of liability; and (iv) to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend Microsoft, its affiliates and suppliers from and against any third party claims or lawsuits, including attorney's fees, that arise or result from the use or distribution of the sample code.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Thursday, August 6, 2009 4:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by DrDon Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Shruti Mishra Friday, August 14, 2009 1:53 PM
    • Edited by Shruti Mishra Friday, August 14, 2009 1:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by DrDon Friday, August 14, 2009 1:56 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Hi, Thanks for all the help.  I now have Java, and Flash working properly on my machine.  However there is still a problem with javascript (not Java).  The site listed above, http://moof.com/ and the large map in my weatherchannel desktop application (and probably others I haven't run across yet) still give me the javascript error!!!

I cannot find anywhere to "enable" javascript, or any security settings preventing it from working.  I have this problem in both my 32 & 64 bit browsers in windows 7, and I have found out the problem is also in my windowsXP installation.

At this point, I have just about given up!

Again, thanks for the help with Java, and the flash is working now also, just the damn javascript still not right!!!!

Thanks
    Don
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 12:36 PM
  • Just freakin' forget it!!!  Obviously nobody understands the question!!!  IT"S NOT JAVA DAMMIT!  It's "Javascript" problem...  Large map in weather.com desktop application and websites such as http://moof.com do not work!

I just plain give up...
    Friday, August 14, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

We could not open the sample website http://dementiaradio.org/chat either. I suspect that the Javascript from the website is not compatible with IE8.

However, the website http://moof.com/ works properly. It seems that IE does not load correct Javascript, or actually no script is loaded.

I suggest that you reset IE to default settings with the following steps.

1. Click Start, please type "inetcpl.cpl" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search bar and press Enter to open the Internet options window.
    2. Switch to the Advanced tab.
    3. Click the "Reset Internet Explorer Settings" button.
    4. Click Reset to confirm the operation.
    5. Click Close when the resetting process has finished.
    6. Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" option in the Settings box.
    7. Click Apply, click OK.

If the issue persists, I suggest that you remove all the installed toolbars.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, August 17, 2009 1:48 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:50 AM