none
Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 converted D drive partition to RAW filesystem

Question

• I was asked to post my question in this TechNet forum instead... this goes to my original post and question. I hope I do not have to repeat all the info I provided there.

My last attempt getting my D drive back resulted in this

how is it that windows update created 5 partitions? I think I had 3, but not 5.

• Edited by MeSo2 Tuesday, August 01, 2017 5:19 AM
    Monday, July 31, 2017 8:21 PM

Answers

• T3ch80 -- thank you so much for your suggestion. I gave up on recovering my data from drive D. Nothing worked and I spend a week on it. In short, I felt that it wasn't that important to restore the gone bad partition because I was able to restore my data from a 2 week old backup. But what was very strange is that my system also converted my D partition back into RAW after a restore (also twice!) -- and this even after a restore to another disk -- very very strange.

And now I can't get Windows 7 Backup to do a backup. Link to my new post.

[SOLUTION]  I contacted MS support; they installed Remo Recover - and it was actually somewhat successful (13% identical files and about 60% missing files) reading the RAW partition. It requires a license $99.97

• Marked as answer by MeSo2 Friday, August 18, 2017 12:35 AM
    • Edited by MeSo2 Friday, August 18, 2017 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I see your Microsoft Community case. You are using EaseUS tool to recover data, the following link explains the specific steps, check it to see if can help you recovery data.

https://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-file-system-to-ntfs.htm

In general, there are some reasons can lead to Disk partition becomes RAW, such as:

1. Bad Sectors
    2. File System Structural Damage
    3. Partition Table Corruption
    4. Improper Partition Access Permission
    5. Operating System Reinstallation

We can try the following methods to see if can fix issue.

1. Change security settings in partition properties

In terms of partition access permission, you can change the security settings in partition properties.

Firstly, right click on the RAW partition.

Then choose “Properties” in the context menu.

Next in the new popup dialog box, switch to “security” tab.

Now you can delete the useless users and all messy codes.

Subsequently, add a local user.

2. Change security settings in Management Tool

Aside from the above for dealing with security settings, you can use this way too.

First, access “Control Panel” and select “System and Security”.

And then click on “Administrative Tools”.

In the new window, find “Local Security Policy”.

Next in the subsequent screen, select “Local Policy” > “Security Settings”.

Later you can find the “sharing and security model for local accounts”.

Double click on it and then change “Guest only” to “Classic”.

3.Convert RAW to NTFS via Command

If you think that the data in this partition is useless any more, what you long for is to convert the RAW back to NTFS format, you can use the following way:

Firstly, run “cmd” as administrator.

Then type “convert drive letter: /fs:NTFS”, such as “convert E: /fs:NTFS”.

Next press “Enter” key.

After that, type the name of the partition whose format you want to convert.

Lastly, you can just wait until this process completes.

4. Recur to third party repair tool

There is a similar case introducing many free tools can help us repair partition.

Partition file system changed to “RAW” after Windows 10 update

https://superuser.com/questions/1170115/partition-file-system-changed-to-raw-after-windows-10-update

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017 2:37 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. Before I try your suggestion I'd like to point out that the MiniTool is seeing 1 more partition than Disk Management is seeing. How is this possible?

Also, I was under the impression that one disk can only have up to 4 primary partitions maximum. Why would the update add two more partitions to my SSD? This is really bad... 

I'd like fix this by moving D to a different SSD and extend the C partition to use the rest of the drive it is on; but first, I need my data from the D drive back. Thank you for helping me.

and this is what it look with Ubuntu (one more partition)

• Edited by MeSo2 Thursday, August 03, 2017 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 02, 2017 6:28 PM
  • To be honest, I don’t know why MiniTool will shows another 16MB partition, maybe this tool has a different algorithms compare with Windows Disk Management, who knows.

About your impression, I want to say that you are basically right, one hard disk can only have 4 primary partition, and primary partition + extended partition can’t over 4(extended partition can be 0, extended partition belongs to primary partition), but, one disk can have several logical partition, logical partition is a part of extended partition, that is to say, as long as we have one extended partition, the number of logical partition is unlimited.

>I'd like fix this by moving D to a different SSD and extend the C partition to use the rest of the drive it is on

This a wise way, hope you could recover data firstly.

Good luck

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 03, 2017 6:48 AM
  • MSR is not visible in disk management by design.  See the note at the bottom of the section quoted below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457110.aspx

Microsoft Reserved Partition

The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition is required on every GPT disk. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition reserves the space in the MSR so that system components are guaranteed space to allocate new partitions for their own use. For example, when you convert a basic GPT disk to dynamic, the system removes 1 MB of the MSR partition and uses that space to create the LDM Metadata partition.

The size of the MSR partition varies. For GPT disks that are smaller than 16 gigabytes (GB), it is 32 MB. For disks larger than 16 GB, the MSR partition is 128 MB.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition creates an MSR partition in the following situations:

• The Disk Management snap-in and DiskPart create an MSR partition on any disk that is converted from MBR to GPT.

• The Disk Management snap-in and DiskPart create an MSR partition on any GPT disk that does not contain an MSR partition. Windows XP Professional x64 Edition usually places the MSR partition at the beginning of the disk. However, if primary partitions exist at the beginning of the disk, the MSR is placed at the end of the disk.

Note The MSR partition is not shown in Disk Management and does not receive a drive letter.

-----------------------------

The link above is an older article originally written for Windows XP and the references to size of the MSR are no longer correct. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions for information about partition size.

"Beginning in Windows 10, the size of the MSR is 16 MB."

Thursday, August 03, 2017 6:54 PM
  • Thank your for the partition info.

I am still trying to recover my D drive that turned into RAW. Going through boot-hell and back I ended up buying EasyRE which made my SSD again bootable. But now my D partition is marked as unallocated space.

I do have a copy of my D drive as RAW on some other drive. What are my options to get back my D drive? Over all I think it is not looking too good. (... and it all started with a simple 1703 Windows update. the same update I performed on my other 2 systems without a glitch.)

Friday, August 04, 2017 8:05 PM
  • I actually ran into this same issue at work today.  The computer would boot to a Recovery screen that said "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed".  I was able to get the RAW partition back to NTFS twice!  The reason for the second time was when I corrected the issue the first time, I rebooted the computer thinking it would be fixed and got the same Recovery screen on boot which once again turned the NTFS partition into a RAW partition.  Actually this issue is still ongoing.  After doing a fresh install, Windows tells me there is an update available before the desktop appears for the first time.  After installing the update on a fresh install, the same problem is back again!

Here is how I got disk check to work on my RAW partition to get the data off the drive.

1. Boot from Windows 10 disk and access command prompt by going to Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, Command Prompt.

2. Run the command "diskpart" and then "list volume" to make sure you have the correct drive letter.  Let's keep it D:.

3. Run the command "exit" to exit diskpart and run check disk with the /r and /f switches.  "chkdsk /r /f d:"

4. I then immediately pulled the power to the computer, pulled the drive, and plugged it into a dock to access files from another computer.  I actually noticed after accessing the data that the only user in the "users" folder was the public user.  I found all the users directories in the "windows.old/users" directory.  I have no idea what is going on with this update but this is the only computer that has this issue on my network.

Hopefully disk check will run for you this way and after it completes you should be able to enter diskpart again and check the volumes and see that D: is now marked NTFS.

Good Luck!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:03 AM
  • T3ch80 -- thank you so much for your suggestion. I gave up on recovering my data from drive D. Nothing worked and I spend a week on it. In short, I felt that it wasn't that important to restore the gone bad partition because I was able to restore my data from a 2 week old backup. But what was very strange is that my system also converted my D partition back into RAW after a restore (also twice!) -- and this even after a restore to another disk -- very very strange.

And now I can't get Windows 7 Backup to do a backup. Link to my new post.

[SOLUTION]  I contacted MS support; they installed Remo Recover - and it was actually somewhat successful (13% identical files and about 60% missing files) reading the RAW partition. It requires a license $99.97

• Marked as answer by MeSo2 Friday, August 18, 2017 12:35 AM
    • Edited by MeSo2 Friday, August 18, 2017 8:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:21 PM