Vista Business Boot error *** STOP: 0x0000005C (0x0000010B, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I keep recieving the error *** STOP: 0x0000005C (0x0000010B, 0x00000001, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) on boot up in windows vista.

I have searched and searched the internet, there is nothing anywhere about this error code, theres similar ones but not this exact one.

I have a AMD Athlon 3800+, 20gb and 200gb HDD's (cant remember makes) 1gb X 2 Dane Elec DDR Memory modules, ATI Radeon X1800XT PCIX Graphics Card, and a NVidia nForce Series Motherboard. This boot problem has only started recently.

I have had vista loaded and working fine for the last couple of months. then one day it started having memory dumps, it would follow this pattern:

Loaded Vista and logged in fine,
    Couple of minutes after log in memory dump accures,
    reboot log back in system is fine.

Now i can not log in at all, it loads all the bios stuff, then asks for the start windos normally etc options, then blue screens.

I have tried to boot in Last Known Good Config, safe mode and normal, all lead to the blue screen error.

I have taken all memory out and swapped for other modules, same error,

I have tried different bios options, n o joy, the only thing i can not check is the Graphics card as i do not have another PCIX card.

Any Help is very much appritiated and thanks in advance!!

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 8:11 PM

All replies

• I recovered (i think) from precisely the same error by using vista roll-back. (restore point).

The error was caused by a windows update.

I'm not sure this is going to help you, as you have to be able to get safe mode to work.  I failed several times, tried re-setting the aspi power save mode in the BIOS, and eventually got the machine to boot.  It was still flakey, but once I ran the restore point (took 20 mins to find my previous restore - point!) the machine started to behave normally.

The error is something to do with loading a "Hardware Abstraction Layer" and has been around since Win 2000.

I have not re-installed the latest update (duh), so have not yet "proved" that it caused it - but I'm pretty sure.

MK

Friday, October 5, 2007 4:30 AM
  •  

Hi Arazmus,

As you cannot access the system at all now, I suggest entering WinRE to try a Startup Repair.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment(WinRE)

=============

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Can we start the computer now?

If the issue persists, I would like to confirm if System Restore was enabled before.

If so, we can try to restore the system to a state when your computer worked properly in WinRE.

Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore

=============

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …".

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard as you normally would and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

What’s the result?

-qqqlllmmm

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 10:01 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the replys.

I tried a couple of things in extension to what i already tried.

First off i bought a new PCI-X graphics card to test that asspect - No change. Not Graphics related.
    Removed HDD with windows installed, same problem

I tried to do a WinRE but this failed as well. could not install a fresh copy of Vista as the setup CD could not/would not pick up any of my HDD's

I bough a new motherboard and installed it, tried another WinRE, same problem. Inserted XP boot disk, did a quick format. Tried to reinstall vista but same problem as before, could'nt detect any HDD's

Installed windows XP home fine, tried to upgrade to vista but wouldnt let me, so i did a clean install of vista from inside XP and vista works fine now, no problems yet.

What was the problem? I have no idea, closest i can guess was either motherboard issue or curropt vista files. i seem to remeber a few files were in need in repair whilst doing a WinRE but it couldnt fix them, Also tried a System Restore but it said there was no restore point, when i knew there was(at least 6)

So this is a list of what i did for any others who have this problem:
    Remove HDD with windows
    Changed Graphics Card
    Changed Memory
    Tried Restore
    Tried WinRE
    Tested Memory via the MemDiag tool in vista (in one brief time it let me log in) worked fine, no failures
    Looked into the hardware failures as displayed by the Reliability Monitor (Admin Tools) every thing worked fine no failures
    Tried to reformat with vista DVD, couldnt detect HDD's
    Changed Motherboard
    Tried Another clean install (same problem as above)
    FDISK and format of C:/
    Installed Win XP Pro
    Tried to upgrade to vista but the Vista CD disabled that option
    Had to to clean install of vista through XP

WORKS FINE

If any one has idea on what could have caused this 2 month version of windows hell please let me know.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:26 PM
  • Interesting.  I stumbled across this same error in a roundabout manner.  I've had an PC running XP for about two years now.  It began to crash and so I tried to recover it.  Here's the analysis and how I got to this Vista error:

• PC could not boot OS (winXP).  Would hang at some point approximately mid-way through the process after the OS banner screen appears.
    • Figured it was software related with corrupt windows files.
    • Tried to use installation disk to find/restore corrupt files.  Didn't encounter any problems until it attempted to boot windows.  System hung.
    • Reformatted HDD.
    • Still could not boot.  Same issue.
    • Removed all non-essential peripherals - graphics, wireless, sound card, etc.  Only HW that remained were the CPU, motherboard, DRAM, PSU, keyboard+mouse, and CD/DVD (I swapped the DVD player too).  Same issue each time.
    • Used a Vista OEM disc to see if installation would be more successful.  Initial setup progress bar ran through to 100% at which point I encountered a blue screen (of death) with this same error message.  I suspect motherboard malfunction / defect, but still not 100% positive.
    Here's my basic system specs:
    • Biostar G31M7TE Intel G31 Socket 775 Motherboard
    • Intel Core2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz Socket 775
    • 3x Ultra 1024MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz
    • Ultra 500W X-Finity Power Supply 120mm Fan / Black

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:17 AM
  • hola muy Fácil entran con  f2  al setup de configurations y entran Donde dados inteligente y Cargan TODAS Las configurations (cargar Las Tres) y LUEGO le dan guardar Axit o f10 y Aceptar y Problema solucionado ya pueden Instalar ventanas de el y cargar el Sistema Operativo 
    Friday, January 3, 2014 4:10 AM
  • Please select your language from the drop down list at the top of the page to post your question in the language of your choice. The forum you posted in is for English only. If you do not find the desired language, support options for additional international locations can be found by following the link below:
    Seleccione su idioma de la lista desplegable en la parte superior de la página para enviar su pregunta en el idioma de su elección. El foro que posteaste es sólo para Inglés. Si no encuentra el idioma que desee, opciones de soporte para las ubicaciones internacionales adicionales se pueden encontrar siguiendo el siguiente enlace:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

Advice offered in good faith. It is your decision to implement same. Wanikiya and Dyami - Team ZigZag

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:33 AM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 4:45 AM