Windows 10 Virtual Machines and DDA for GPUs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have seen various articles that make reference to Windows 10 supporting DDA back to 2016, however I have yet to make this work.

"Hyper-V in Windows 10 Anniversary Update and in Windows Server 2016 has the ability to do Discrete Device Assignment, where a device like a GPU can be directly mapped into the address space of a guest VM."

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295062-linux-support/suggestions/8730703-remotefx-opengl-guest-support-in-windows-server

Then this article from 2017 says it's only for Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016, Windows Server 2016. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/deploying-graphics-devices-using-dda

The article also says "This is preliminary content and subject to change."

Which is correct? Has anyone gotten DDA to work with GPUs? I have checked that my CPU, motherboard, etc all support use for DDA. Currently I am stuck when starting the VM. I get the error message:

"A hypervisor feature is not available to the user"

I have tried the solution here but still no worky.

Thanks for any help!

m

• Edited by maximojo22 Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:30 AM wrong link
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    After my massive search, from the latest official article Plan for Deploying Devices using Discrete Device Assignment, we can see Discrete Device Assignment is applied to: Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016, Windows Server 2016, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019, Windows Server 2019.

Supported Virtual Machines and Guest Operating Systems
    Discrete Device Assignment is supported for Generation 1 or 2 VMs. Additionally, the guests supported include Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012r2 with KB 3133690 applied, and various distributions of the Linux OS.

I am sorry, I still haven't searched about Microsoft's official website to explain that Discrete Device Assignment is available in Windows 10.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by maximojo22 Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:48 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    The Microsoft official blog Discrete Device Assignment — Machines and devices says : First, we're not supporting Discrete Device Assignment in Hyper-V in Windows 10. Only Server versions of Windows support this. This isn't some wanton play for more of your hard-earned cash but rather just a side effect of being comfortable supporting server-class machines. They tend to work and be quite stable.

And the Microsoft official article Deploy graphics devices using Discrete Device Assignment says: Discrete Device Assignment applies to Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 and Windows Server 2016

So Discrete Device Assignment is not supported  in Hyper-V in Windows 10.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 11, 2018 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for the response Daisy! I had the wrong link in my initial post. It should have been this post that referenced the quote that was made by  ADMINNed Pyle [MSFT] (Principal Program Manager, Windows Server) 

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/295062-linux-support/suggestions/8730703-remotefx-opengl-guest-support-in-windows-server

"Hyper-V in Windows 10 Anniversary Update and in Windows Server 2016 has the ability to do Discrete Device Assignment, where a device like a GPU can be directly mapped into the address space of a guest VM."

So "Windows 10 Anniversary Update" is a consumer facing version is it not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history#Version_1607_(Anniversary_Update)

That makes me think it would be available to the average user on Windows 10 user, not just powerusers and IT pros who would use Windows Server 2016, etc.

All of the above posts are old though so things may have changed.

m

• Edited by maximojo22 Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:35 PM typo
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 5:34 AM
  • Hi,
    After my massive search, from the latest official article Plan for Deploying Devices using Discrete Device Assignment, we can see Discrete Device Assignment is applied to: Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016, Windows Server 2016, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019, Windows Server 2019.

Supported Virtual Machines and Guest Operating Systems
    Discrete Device Assignment is supported for Generation 1 or 2 VMs. Additionally, the guests supported include Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012r2 with KB 3133690 applied, and various distributions of the Linux OS.

I am sorry, I still haven't searched about Microsoft's official website to explain that Discrete Device Assignment is available in Windows 10.

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

• Marked as answer by maximojo22 Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:48 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for all your help Daisy!

It sounds like, at this time, consumer Windows 10 does not support DDA. This thread on reddit sums it up as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HyperV/comments/8jwt5c/windows_10_hyperv_dda/

If Microsoft did support it, it would probably be easier to find information on it by official means.

thanks

m

Thursday, October 11, 2018 11:48 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for your update and marking my reply as answer. I’m very glad that the information is helpful.
    As always, if there is any issue in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again. We are happy to assist you!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:53 AM