Suggestion: Network icon in Tray is useless RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows XP the network (Ethernet / LAN / RJ45) status icon in the tray will allow you to quickly enter the configuration of the network.

For professionals as my self, its very nice to quickly access the IP configuration information, and/or change the network configuration (Add/Remove Protocols & Services)

currently the icon will give you 2 options when right-clicking : Troubleshooting and "Open network & Sharing Center"
    The thing im missing is "Properties" which goes directly to the NIC's configuration (aka "Adapter settings" or "Local Area Connection Status")

Showing the connection details when hovering the icon would also help a great deal (IP, DNS, Gateway, IPv6, NetMask, Adapter)

thanks
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:10 AM

All replies

• Also...

In Windows XP, you are able to 
    - Disable the NIC
    - See its Status
    - Repair ( Renew IP)
    - Change Windows Firewall Settings
    - Open Network Connections

I want the same for Windows 7 !!!

it's very nice for people working with networking !
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:16 AM
  • Hm, the aforementioned functions were kinda useless in XP. Why? Because you can't do nothing from the list Montago provided under unprivileged accounts. And that's how the things supposed to be.

I can see how this kind of stuff can be useful with UAC tho. Great idea.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:47 PM
  • Control Panel->Network connections-> Local area Conn right click it->create shortcut which will goto Desktop; drag to your or a toolbar. left click to enable/disable conn; right click for status, settings etc. 
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:50 PM
  • Left click on the icon to see and select connections.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:11 PM
  • okay... how is that smooth and slick ?

you can't even create a pinned icon with your ethernet connection...

if Windows XP could do it with a tray icon, why can't Win7 and Vista ?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:47 PM
  • I agree. We took a step backwards here for sure.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:04 PM
  • Right click Tool Bar->Toolbars->New Toolbar (MyToolBar). Get rid of text, drag shortcut there. You can cut back on number of pinned by placing them there if you want. Media player for example functions same from there as from pinned.

Also you can set Use small Icons in Toolbar Properties if it is crowded or occupies too much of your Monitor Viewing area.

• Proposed as answer by Robinson Zhang Friday, August 28, 2009 2:53 AM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I am not following you at all here. Local Area connection cannot be right clicked from the Network and Sharing Center.

You are describing the options as though you are looking at XP. Those options are not the same in W7.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 5:22 PM
  • Kind of late to complain about the direction Microsoft has taken with Vista, don't you think?  And it's clear they don't give a rat's behind about encouraging corporate people to move up from XP...  That will happen in time as all those old computers go bad anyway.

We all need to face that Microsoft has put way too much weight on the Mac vs. PC commercials and have "dumbed-down" the operating system SO MUCH to make it a better entertainment device for the masses.  There are way more people who don't have anything at all important to do with their computers than there are of us who want the computer to be able to do real work.  They have money and buy PCs, and they want them to "just work", no matter how many malware sites they visit.

I just wish Microsoft would leave the "to work" options we once had configurable instead of taking them out altogether. 

Are we, perhaps, supposed to be using Windows Server 2008 instead of Windows 7?  Is that how serious computer users survive?  I hear that version even still has classic mode start menus.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that when (if?) Microsoft developers switch over to using Windows 7 to actually develop new software it will become a much more serious system.  There are things they will need to do that the OS just doesn't provide today!  There will be improvements, and/or perhaps a plethora of new Power Toys.

-Noel
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 6:30 PM
  • You and I are thinking the same things.  I'm just being a bit more realistic in assuming that Windows will never again be an operating system for us geeks.

-Noel
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:35 PM
  • In the keynote on PDC 2009, we were told that the experience of Windows 7 was like a theater experience (or should be)

apparently the aim is to stupify the interface into Mediacenter functionality with Apple's 1 mousebutton click'ability ... in the end MS wants us to use windows with a remote control...

I will kill my self if it ever happens... (or get a job without computers)

back to topic :

I really hate it when superuser features are removes ! - luckely someone implemented the CTRL + Enter feature in Win7 !!!

I Suggested it, and now it seems to be back in windows !

CTRL + Enter on folders = open in seperate window.

maybe we should scream some more about the missing features :-)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 9:05 AM
  • In their own Channel 10 Blog, Microsoft gave us a recommendation.  Download the program Microsoft recommended, it even can match your Windows Vista / Windows 7 Taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:51 AM
  • hey thanks...

but i have found (got a link from someone here in the forum for) an even better tool !

NetSetMan (Network Setup and Manager)

Monday, January 11, 2010 8:09 AM