USB port issues in win 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm at my wits end. I have a PC with intel i5, 4 gigs of ram on 64 bit. I honestly am not sure what else you may need to know.

It all started with two WD external hard drives that started cycling through the recognizing process while being continually plugged in. these hard drives do have outside power sources, since i saw a lot of asking about that in other topics related. The same harddrives when plugged into another desktop work fine and continuously without a problem. ( this computer is also win7 64bit) After awhile i unplugged them and didn't think anything of it.

Step forward in time about 8-9 months i go to plug in my camera to get pictures off of it, and it claims the drive must be formated to be read by my computer. I said okayyyy, and tried it on my other desktop and it worked fine. no formatting needed. on a whim i decided to try other " storage " devices ( IE: other externals, iphone, things like that) all of them want me to format, and lose all the data on them. I'm a little peeved, but move on.

two days ago we bought a seagate freeagent 1.5 TB drive that again works perfectly fine on my husbands computer, but on mine it attempts to read and install drivers but gives me the " One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned..." yada yada very annoying.

Now. things i've done to try and fix this issue.

a) ran virus scans ( well you never know)

b) uninstalled usb drivers and restarted

c) Reinstalled windows and tested at various points in the updating process.

d) searched for drivers online for the seagate ( apparently seagate won't give them without jumping through hoops with fire and rusty nails underneath)

Not necessarily done in that order, its almost 4am and i'm cranky lol. any help would be appreciated.

Friday, January 14, 2011 11:47 AM